Poole private schools no longer feeders

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
meagain

Poole private schools no longer feeders

Post by meagain »

Here is the link to the local paper in Poole.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/4 ... ak__preps/
paula

Post by paula »

The issue of what counts as a feeder school has long been a problem. I can only comment from a Parkstone point of view. Currently priority is given to girls who attend schools located within Poole borough whether state or independent. This however does cause some issues. Many pupils who actually live within the borough attend schools outside the borough and equally some pupils at borough schools are not Poole residents.
I believe it would be fairer to allocate places according to where the pupil actually lives, irrespective of where they attend school,state or independent.
meagain

Post by meagain »

Totally agree with you Paula!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I received the following email from Poole admissions.
They also attached the new draft admissions documents for Poole and Parkstone - but I can't upload them.

[quote="school.admissions@poole.gov.uk"]The new Admissions Code of Practice requires Admission Authorities to consult with each other each year on their proposed admissions policies for the next but one academic year, in this case 2010/11 arrangements are being consulted upon at the present time. This new Code of Practice came into effect today and affects admissions arrangements from 2010 onwards. The new Code requires Admission Authorities to consult with parents, however as the Code only came into effect today it is not possible to give parents 8 weeks consultation as statutorily consultation must be completed by 1 March 2009, only just over 2 weeks away. Therefore the full 8 weeks consultation will commence with the 2011/12 admission arrangements.

In view of this I attach a copy of the grammar schools’ proposed admissions policies for 2010/11. If you have any comments you wish to make on the legality of the policy I would be grateful if you could let me have these by 28 February as the Borough of Poole co-ordinates all consultation on school admissions. After all the admissions policies have been approved by the appropriate admission authority of the schools (this must be done by 15 April) a public advert will be placed in the Echo and Advertiser advising the public that they can inspect the approved policies and if they wish to object to any aspect of them because they are either unlawful or are not in accordance with the Admissions Code of Practice they can do so to the office The Schools Adjudicator.

The admission authorities for Parkstone Grammar and Poole Grammar schools are the Governing Bodies of each school. It is the Governing Body’s responsibility to ensure that the admissions policy conforms to the Admissions Code of Practice and is lawful. This policy, together with all the other admission policies for schools in Poole, will be considered by the Poole Admissions Forum later this month.

The local authority has received numerous enquiries recently concerning the two grammar schools not including independent schools within their oversubscription criteria for 2010/11. Previously the two schools gave priority to pupils attending Poole middle and combined schools and independent schools sited with the Borough of Poole. However the new Code of Practice quite clearly states that admission authorities “must not include independent schools as named feeder schoolsâ€
fed up

Post by fed up »

fed up

Post by fed up »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 3_02_2009/

This is on BBC iplayer. Move the cursor to 29 minutes
WP

Post by WP »

A schools adjudicator has just ruled on an objection to the feeder arrangements. As a result, there will be no feeder schools: priority will be given to Poole residents as was the case a few years ago. The schools believed that that was precluded by the Greenwich Judgement, but this adjudicator says that that Judgement is superseded by the 2009 version of the Admissions Code.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

:shock: That's going to cause problems!
scarymary

Post by scarymary »

Does this ruling apply equally to Parkstone as well as Poole Grammar?
honscupboard

Post by honscupboard »

It would appear so yes. I feel so sorry for those that now find themselves out of catchment, when up until last week they were in catchment. I think a few objections may follow .....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now