KS1 SATS

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

KS1 SATS

Post by mystery »

A few questions I would be grateful if someone could answer:

1. Where is the best place to look on the web for the "syllabus" for KS1 maths and english?

2. How does one get an idea of the standard required to get level 3s and level 2s?

3. Sorry I have forgotten if KS 1 SATS still exist or not, but if they don't, how currently would a teacher come up with a teacher assessment?

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The National Strategy holds the 'syllabus'

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/primary

KS1 assessment is by teacher assessment - many schools now use the APP guidelines.

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcs ... rogressapp

There are tests schools use to moderate judgements ...
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thank you for answering those questions. I will read up on the weblinks you have given me.
katel

Post by katel »

But bear in mind that the KS1 SATS are there to test the teacher and the school more than the child, so it is a really bad idea to prepare or coach - that gives a distorted picture of the school's performance. And in some circunstances could let a poorly performing school off the hook! It makes not a whit of difference to a child what they get in their KS1 SATS - it makes a HUGE difference to the teacher and the school!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

As you know from other threads, Katel, it does make a difference to the child what they get at key stage 1.

Yes you right in that children should not be prepped by parents to gain artificially high levels but if a school conveniently gives a child a level 2 when they are capable of level 3 it takes the onus off them ensuring that child then gets a level 5 at the end of key stage 2.

Thereby letting "a poorly performing school off the hook!" in your words.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Dear Guest 55

I have checked out the first weblink you kindly gave me. It's got lots of useful documents it takes you through to. But I'm struggling to find one document which clearly sets out what the national curriculum for maths should / does cover in Years 1 and 2 (and also for years 4 to 6). I may be being obtuse.

I am wanting this as a parent, and also as someone who helps out voluntarily in a primary school with numeracy and literacy on a one to one basis.

I am not much bothered about the arguments about coaching, overcoaching etc. At this stage I am really just wanting to be clear what should be covered to give my own and other people's children a fair chance. Whatever a child's ability, covering the "syllabus" (if it is appropriate for them) has to be helpful!

Thanks
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

I think this is the page you are looking for
http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcs ... node/18687
These websites make it particularly difficult to search on so I save loads under favourites once I find them as I know I'll never be able to repeat the search again! Mind you it can take me just as long to search my favourites with its ever growing list.
samsa

Post by samsa »

Just let them be kids, don't tutor or push at that age. I agree, it really is a totally school centered exercise. Who knows, you might do all that pushing only to find they get rid of the SAT's altogether and your child could have done far more interesting things (and probably learnt more from doing them.)
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

katel

Post by katel »

"
"Yes you right in that children should not be prepped by parents to gain artificially high levels but if a school conveniently gives a child a level 2 when they are capable of level 3 it takes the onus off them ensuring that child then gets a level 5 at the end of key stage 2."

Why would a school do this when it is a school's best interests to get as many 4s and 5s as possibly?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now