Whitgift vs Trinity vs Reigate Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chris

Whitgift vs Trinity vs Reigate Grammar

Post by chris »

Does anyone know which of Whitgift, Trinity or Reigate Grammar would be easiest for my son to get into at age 11+? Are there any statistics on number of applicants vs number of places or pass marks required for each? Any help welcome! Thanks :?:
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Chris

I have sent you a pm.

Mum23
santamad

Post by santamad »

Hi mum23,

Anychance of your response to Chris via PM? Really interested, in particular regarding any figures you have for Whitgift.

Thanks
Santamad
qpootle5

whitgift vtrinityvreigate grammar

Post by qpootle5 »

me too mummy 23
qpootle5
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Any chance you could let me know too? (Pretty please!)
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Completely anecdotal but:

When my eldest sat Trinity the verbal reasoning paper was the same as the Reigate one. He felt the Trinity exam was considerably easier than Whitgift. (although few years ago now)

I don't know anybody who was refused a place at Trinity who got a place at Whitgift, but I know quite a few who didn't get Whitgift, but who got Trinity.

I suspect Reigate Grammar is slightly more competitive than Trinity as there is less local competition.

Trinity and Whitgift are schools with a very different feel and most people have a clear preference for one unless geography is an issue. Reigate is different again as mixed.
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Sorry Peeps!!

Have been away and the kids have been unwell and then the laptop was not working, so have not been on here as often as I would like.

My son sat the 10+ in January and was offered places at Whitgift and Trinity with scholarships. He said the maths was easy on both but the VR on the Whitgift was harder, overall he said the Trinity paper was easier.

I always had a preference for Trinity so was glad that they offered a bigger scholarship so they made the decision for us, even though Whitgift is closer and it would have been easier for my son to get to.

I feel that the Trinity paper appears to be easier than the Whitgift, this is going by friends who took the exam the same time as us, but all boys were offered a place at both. Trinity have taken 45/46 boys and Whitgift 60. I agree with Surreymum (who was a blessing when I was going through my neurotic period before, during and after the exams!) most parents have made up their minds about which school they will send their boy to and they take both so that they have a back up. Trinity, to me, appeared friendlier and focused on the boy as a whole whereas I felt Whitgift were more hard nosed and a bit snooty as they are aware that they are the top choice.

Sorry can't give any info on Reigate as we did not consider them.

Hope this helps. :D
santamad

Post by santamad »

Hi there mummy23,

Thanks for the response. I was curious as we came to the indy sector late in year 6 (Nov!) after a sudden realisation our DS may not get a place at our nearest comp. He fell in love with Whitgift, is very sporty and so we didn't look anyway else. Interestingly, we felt it wasn't snooty at all and this is partly what helped us with a very difficult decision. As Surreymum says so important to have a look at these places for yourselves. He isn't ultra-academic (mostly high 4's SATs-wise ) but really went for it Whitgift-wise and was offered a place. I believe application form, interview and outside interests are also taken into account when offering places and this is what our experiences have shown and what it looks like from the posters responses to this question.

This school business has caused us a rediculous amount of worry and now we have a daughter to concern ourselves with this year! This forum helps with those niggling doubts, queries and worries though. :wink:
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Hi Santamad

So glad your son got offered a place.

I am not knocking Whitgift; it is an excellent school - but my preference was Trinity (DH preferred Whitgift, DS changed his mind every week!!) and that was the feel I got. Other boys from my son's school have previously gained entry to yr 6 & yr 7 there, and maybe if we were not offered as much help from trinity we would have gone for them.

This is an awful business, and we will go through it again in just over a year's time as our other DS is just going into Yr 4 and we will try again for entry via the 10+. God bless this site!! It is truly a God send and helped me through some really anxious moments.

All the best for your DD.
santamad

Post by santamad »

Hi there,

I absolutely knew you weren't knocking Whitgift - everyones experiences and "feel" for a school are different. Fortunately, we all knew Whitgift was the place for our son - he literally walked round with his jaw on the ground and we had to drag him out of the sports/pool area! Unfortunately too many other people thought so too and he was pipped for any sort of financial help! You were exceedingly lucky/wellprepared(!) to be offered schlarships and my guess we had been in your position, with a child who liked them both we'd have made the most sensible financial choice too!

I do find the site very useful and reassuring but quite honestly, and yes niaively, I just wish every child could just go to the school nearest to them that suited them the best!

Hoping it all goes well for your other DS - at least you are experienced in this game now.

Hoping we also helped Chris the origional poster - my feeling would be that it helped our son in interview etc that his heart was set on Whitgift (and his genuine determination to go to that school) helped but I also think they genuinely look at what boys will "fit" their ethos. I don't have experience at the other schools (we didn't try for Grammars as none of these felt right for our son even if he had passed the exam). I believe some indy schools frown upon applications to grammar schools as well as it looks like their school then isn't first choice.

Apologies I think I've not helped at all with my ramblings and just added to the confusion! :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now