NAF strikes again

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fed up

NAF strikes again

Post by fed up »

Seems like the NAF would really like to put up a barbed wire fence around Daventry and not let anyone out.
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/r ... -24374453/
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thanks for that fed up.
WP

Post by WP »

Also: http://www.therugbyobserver.co.uk/news80489.html

This version places all the emphasis on the NAF, but also (like the previous story) mentions that some individual parents also objected.
Dadof3

NAF Strikes Again

Post by Dadof3 »

NAF are looking to recruit new members to their Admissions Forum. Applications are invited from Parents resident in Northamptonshire. Follow link and open Word doc.

http://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/en/c ... forum.aspx

Anybody interested in applying to this body?

I suggest that anybody wishing to improve the educational standards or parental choice in Northamptonshire need not apply but anyone wishing to disrupt and meddle in the affairs of neighbouring authorities are most welcome!
WP

Re: NAF Strikes Again

Post by WP »

Dadof3 wrote:NAF are looking to recruit new members to their Admissions Forum. Applications are invited from Parents resident in Northamptonshire.
The deadline for applications has passed. According to that link, their reconstituted forum was to meet on 23 June. It was presumably at that meeting that they decided to object.
fed up

Post by fed up »

Yes, I have seen the minutes. This is despite all their apologies for not consulting with the residents of Northamptonshire before the previous objection. It was cleverly timed to coincide with the summer holidays and after the elections.

How likely do you think it is that the 50/50 arrangements for 2010 entry will be changed? It will be most unfair to the children who have registered and practised thinking that they were in with a (reduced) chance if this should happen.
WP

Post by WP »

fed up wrote:How likely do you think it is that the 50/50 arrangements for 2010 entry will be changed? It will be most unfair to the children who have registered and practised thinking that they were in with a (reduced) chance if this should happen.
It is very hard to predict how an adjudication will go. Much of it is down to the personal judgement of the adjudicator.

From my observation, repeated adjudications like this are usually given to a different adjudicator, possibly the Chief Adjudicator. This adjudicator would be required to consider the views expressed by the previous one, but would not be bound by them.

However this case is unusual, in that the previous adjudication was advisory, and did not force any changes in admissions arrangements (because it was so late in the annual cycle). Whatever the present adjudicator decides, he or she will be able to dictate changes to the arrangements for Sep 2010 entry and make them binding for up to 3 years.

I think that adjudicators tend to give quite a bit of weight to objections from admissions forums. The 50/50 arrangement reduces the "skimming" effect they were complaining about last time, but it's still there.

It may also be affected by whatever issues were raised in the parental objections. Personally I think there's a strong case for including the Barby/Kilsby area in the catchment, and an adjudicator might present that as a compromise. But what do I know? Incidentally, the same original adjudicator has taken a more extreme position in a decision on Poole grammar schools, claiming that catchment areas are no longer subject to the Greenwich Judgement because the catchment area section of the 2009 Admissions Code doesn't mention the GJ.
fed up

Post by fed up »

I've just been looking at William Parker's Ofsted report for July 2009. They scored 3 (satisfactory) for leadership and management. It's hard to see how having the children that would have gone to the grammar schools is suddenly going to raise the head and the governors up to a 2 or a 1, but maybe it magically will. NAF certainly seems to think so.
fed up

Post by fed up »

Have just seen Dr Passmore's response to NAF's objection - a month late!

At least it's not upheld. She seems to have a low opinion of the NAF I think.

http://www.schoolsadjudicator.gov.uk/up ... chools.doc
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

I find the NAF view interesting and confusing and there are a number of inconsistencies.

There are planty of good school places within good schools in Northamptonshire. Several towards the South of the county are very good and some Daventry kids bus it southwards to get to a good school.

Confusingly, significant numbers of (southern) Northamptonshire school places are offered to children from Oxfordshire and NAF do not have a problem with this. Apparently one rule for the north and one for the south?
I have even come across situations where Northamptonshire children have not got places in good Northamptonshire schools because places are taken by Oxfordshire children.

So, if NAF are to be consistent, then Daventry kids will not go to Warwickshire, Oxfordshire kids will not go to Northamptonshire. Given the choice, Daventry parents will then choose to send their children to the better Northamptonshire schools (not in Daventry) and there will be no overall improvement in Daventry intake.

Catch 22
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky