Proof of residence - a change to the system

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Proof of residence - a change to the system

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have just noticed a very significant change in the arrangements for proof of residence for this year's 11+.

In previous years the date for providing proof of address was a week after the 11+ results were issued. This had the unfortunate effect of allowing some people to "play the system" by putting their child through the 11+ and then only moving to Bucks on a hurried rental agreement if their child qualified. There were obviously checks to ensure that the addresses provided were valid and permanent, but there is no doubt that some very determined people managed to circumvent those.

The following is quoted from the 2010 Admissions scheme published by Bucks CC (the full document can be viewed here) - the timeline is on page 16:
13 November 2009
Latest date for parents who are moving into a catchment area to provide proof and be considered in-catchment for the first allocation round.

20 November 2009
Publication of results of selection testing for timely applicants.
This is certainly a positive step in reducing the number of "speculative applications" for Bucks GS places. (I hesitate to use the phrase "chancers and cheats"!)

Sally-Anne
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Will results only be supplied to those who have proved residence?
Animis opibusque parati
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi SVE

That is a very good question!

I don't know when the address checking process starts, and it all hinges on that.

Either addresses are checked as the paperwork (CAF plus proof of address) starts to roll in, from early September; or Admissions wait until the deadline of November 13th before checking any proof of address and following up those that may be suspicious.

If it is the former, then any fraudulent applications that are found before mid-November would be withdrawn from the system completely, and the child's results will therefore not be released.

If it is the latter, then there is not enough time between the deadline for address evidence and the posting of results for the results to be withheld. The gap between the evidence deadline and the results is only a week, and in fact the results are sent to schools early w/c 16th November. If that is the case, then all children will receive their results, and the weeding out process will take place between November and 1st March.

Logically I would have thought that the evidence will be checked as it comes in, as far as time permits, and the answer is therefore not "cut and dried".

I would be interested to hear the answer, should anyone know what it is.

Sally-Anne