12 plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cagney40

12 plus

Post by cagney40 »

Hi there. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of their child taking the 12 plus in Wirral. I understand it is different to the 11 plus. Easier? Harder? When did you take the decision and, if successful, how did your child settle into their new school? Our DS failed the 11 plus and is going to the local (good) comp so we would be loath to move him if he settles well. Any advicde gratefully received.
Gill Mc

12+

Post by Gill Mc »

Hi, our son did not sit 11+ last year due to poor advice from primary school - don't ask! He sat 12+ and passed with flying colours. After much soul searching, we decided to leave him at Hilbre were he was very settled and incredibly happy. Hopefully that was the right decision. All the advice we took indicated that if they are happy, they will learn. 12+ format - exactly the same as 11+ in terms of VR (upgraded I think to 12 years) but also required to sit an English paper, a Maths paper and either a science or MFL paper as well and in case of St Anselm's a mental maths test. No limit on timing - you can sit in the autumn term or right up to end of summer term. Most friendship groups are set by end of Yr7 so its a big decision to start somewhere new after that - depends on child and social skills I would guess.
kittyhola

Post by kittyhola »

It's a difficult one isn't it. I guess there would be little reason to move a child if you were happy with the school he/she was attending and he/she had settled well. However, if you weren't happy then I wouldn't worry too much about friendships already having been established in y7 as a reason not to move your child. My DD started back at WKGS today in y8 and in her class alone there are 2 new girls who sat the 12+. So the point I'm making is there's a good chance your son wouldn't be the only one if he did join in y8. Good luck :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now