Out of 11plus Area

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
phoenix

Out of 11plus Area

Post by phoenix »

Hi there - I am just about to start the terrifying prospect of secondary school selection for my eldest child. We do not live in an 11plus county so I wonder if my child could take the exam and then we make the decision to move/not or whether I have to already live in an 11plus county BEFORE she takes the exam.

Hoping for some help on the basics - thank you :?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Phoenix, and welcome! :D

It will vary depending upon which school or county you are interested in. Please bear in mind that most areas are turning up the heat on potentially fraudulent applications, so you will need to be totally honest and squeaky clean thoughout the process.

For Buckinghamshire grammars, your child can take the exam wherever you live, but you have to provide proof of the address to be used for the allocation of places a week before you get the results. (The system has changed this year - it used to be a week after the results were published.) That address must be your main residence, and if you are renting it and selling your original house you are likely to be asked to provide quite a lot of evidence that the move is permanent.

You do not actually have to live in Buckinghamshire to get a place, but you do have to be near enough to your preferred school, because places are allocated on distance. You can see what those distances might be here. To gain a place at some of the most popular schools you need to live in the school's catchment area and live within no more than 4 - 5 miles of the school gates. If you live over 3 miles from the school gates and in catchment your child will get free transport to school.

Sally-Anne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Phoenix

welcome to the forum! There are some schools that take the top x children regardless of where they live - these tend to be referred to as superselectives and as a far as the school and tghose allocating places you could live on the moon and get a place if you come high enough and can get there in the morning!!

Other most other schools tend to bring in distance as a decider when allocating places, some are able to take many kids out of the usual catchment - depends on the year really. For many years the Skipton schools could offer to all those who passed the exam, now they have had to cut off the distance at about 10-13 miles.
If you did choose a school then you would have to be fairly comitted - you would have to take the exam and pass and then put it first on the CAF form and then possibly appeal if you have managed to move into the area before the allocations / start of term with no guarantee of a place.

So; if mega bright child then superselective and move when you know the result OR decide on an area and move before the test!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

Sally- Anne is one step ahead of me and noticed that you were in Oxfordshire and hence gives lots more sensible advice for Bucks which is obviously more handy than some of the other far flung locations I was thinking of!!!
phoenix

all useful

Post by phoenix »

Hi HermanMunster - no worries - all info gratefully received 8)
magwich2

out of 11+ area

Post by magwich2 »

I do not know which part of oxon you are in but Glos. grammar schools do not have a catchment area (and Pates Grammar is very good and relatively easy to get to in cheltenham). Warwickshire Grammar schools only need to know that you will be moving into the area before term begins and are also very good. They also do not seem to mind unduly if you susequently move out of the nominal catchment area in due course.
Do feel free to PM me if I can be of any help
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

The Warwickshire cut off date is 5th February (at least, that's the date I'M working towards).
LucyLou's Mum

Out of Eleven plus area

Post by LucyLou's Mum »

Hi Phoenix

I myself live in a village west of Banbury, in Oxfordshire. My DD sat the eleven plus last October for Warwickshire, we are within the Grammar school circle for Stratford (which I think is 17 miles from the War memorial in Stratford market place - our village is 15 1/2 miles). My DD was fortunate to pass and got a place in the first round of offers, now I'm not sure whether that was because we are within that catchment albeit a different county. At no time did we consider moving counties.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

If you were in the priority circle. then you were fine and did not need to move to be in the first round of offers.
Milla

Re: out of 11+ area

Post by Milla »

magwich2 wrote:(and Pates Grammar is very good and relatively easy to get to in cheltenham). help
NO NO NO! We need no encouragement for more clever children heading into our area per-leasey!!! :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol: :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now