Questions about appeal on this Monday

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
GM

Questions about appeal on this Monday

Post by GM »

Hi,

Just found this website in time today and my appeal will be on this Monday. My daughter has got 120 as her 11 plus score. The head teacher gives her 1:1 and ranked her 6th out of 24 in O.o.S. My daughter she is good at mathematics, she has got two certificates (world class test maths 8-11 years old earyl this year and gold award challenge primary this November). Should I bring them to the panel on Monday? She loves reading, should I bring some books she read recently too?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What was the other score? If close to 120 it will make the case easier.

Any exercise books with 'post-its' in pages you wish to draw to their attention would help.

I would take the 'world class test' and the Primary Maths challenge result - it confirms other academic evidence e.g. KS2 NC test predictions.

I wouldn;t bother about books she is reading - they might ask but it is a 'filler' question. Look elsewhere in this section for more advice -

GOOD LUCK!

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the quick reply Guest55.
"Any exercise books with 'post-its' in pages you wish to draw to their attention would help. "
I am a foreigner, so I don't understand what does "any exercise books with post-its in pages" mean?

My daughter's another score is 112. We are not native English speakers, we came to UK four years ago. My daughter started to learn English from ABC alphapet four years ago. Now she is fluent in English and made a very good progress too. Her teacher predicted 3 level 5+ for her and in top 25% too.

Do you think we should tell the panel about we are foreigners and she has been UK for only 4 years?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest

Glad you found us in time! The "post-it" notes are those little yellow sticky notes that peel off after use. Ask any stationers shop for them.

Yes, it is well worth drawing the panel's attention to the fact that your daughter has only been in this country four years. That will have had some impact on the development of her vocabulary.

Don't take any reading books in - the panel may ask what she has read recently, so have a short list of books that show her top reading ability. Do take the certificates in and hand them over with the exercise books at the end, drawing the panel's attention to them.

The most difficult part of the appeal for you is likely to be explaining why the other score was 112. Was she nervous? Did she sleep badly the night before? Don't go looking for reasons, but if there is one, do be prepared to give it. If there is no reason, then just say that. Keep it simple!

On a 1:1 recommendation, 6th in OoS and 120 you should have a very good chance at appeal. I do hope so!

Good luck - come back and tell us how you got on.

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I agree with Sally-Anne - if your child has only spoke and written English for 4 years the score in VR [verbal reasoning] test like the Bucks 11+ will be affected.

I think this is strong evidence to support your child's case.

Do let us all know how it goes -
GM

Post by GM »

Thanks, Sally-Anne.

My daughter had bad allergies(rash, itching eyes). Her doctor told us that the medicine may made her feel sleepy. So I didn't give her medicine before first test, she told me the itchs made her could not concentrate very well, so she didn't finish all the questions in first test. Then I gave her the medicine to relief allergies, she felt better second time and finished all the questions. Do you think this is an explaination for the first score 112? I didn't ask her doctor for a letter about she had bad allergies during 11+ test period. Is it too late if I ask the doctor next week (after the appeal)?
GM

Post by GM »

Guest55 wrote:I agree with Sally-Anne - if your child has only spoke and written English for 4 years the score in VR [verbal reasoning] test like the Bucks 11+ will be affected.

I think this is strong evidence to support your child's case.

Do let us all know how it goes -
Thanks Guest55. I will let you know about my appeal process.

Thanks everybody for the encouragement and good wish.
dissapointed mum

Post by dissapointed mum »

Dear GM
Just read your question about submitting a doctors letter after your appeal, and Yes I believe it is too late to submit it after the appeal, as I was reading up on "evidence" in the yellow book supplied for appeals, and it states that no evidence will be acceopted after the appeal. You can submit evidence on the day of the appeal but not after.
I hope this helps answer your question
DP
GM

Post by GM »

Thanks, dissapointed mum.

That's the only reason I can think why she didn't do the first test very well. If the panel asks then I have to explain it.

My daughter got score 133 in school's VRT at year4 and 128 at year5. Should I mention it? Does every school use the some VRT paper?
dissapointed mum

Post by dissapointed mum »

Dear GM
Your head should have listed the other VR scores on their support sheet they had to fill in. If they havent then get them from your head, and submit them on the day of your appeal. Dont forget to photocopy them 6 times so each panel member gets a copy.
If you can get your Doctor to write a letter for you to take in regarding your daughters health, then that will support you mentioning it in the appeal.
Im sure Etienne or Sally ann would be able to give you far more accurate information than I have, Im just relaying wahat I have been told and have foind out.
All the best, let us all know how you got on.
Regards
DP