maths revision

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum

maths revision

Post by mum »

Has anyone made up a revision timetable for the last 8 weeks before the test and how long should you be spending revising or doing papers each night?
moose

Post by moose »

Unfortunately it is very individual and therefore impossible to answer. I know somebody who is doing 3 tests a day for the last year!!!!!
But I also know sb. who only started preparing kid to the exams 6 weeks before and she passed.
So I am afraid it is up to yours and your childs endurance, willpower, abilities and so on...
Karen

Post by Karen »

moose wrote:Unfortunately it is very individual and therefore impossible to answer. I know somebody who is doing 3 tests a day for the last year!!!!!
But I also know sb. who only started preparing kid to the exams 6 weeks before and she passed.
So I am afraid it is up to yours and your childs endurance, willpower, abilities and so on...
I agree with moose. I also know someone whose child didn't start preparing until about 6 weeks before and also passed. My son has a study timetable for the last 12 weeks but he had been doing the odd paper for about a year before that. Now we do an English and VR/Maths VR on alternate nights and all three at the weekend. It seems to suit my son and he's coping quite well with this and his school homework. It really is down to personal preferences/abilities. Best of luck.
jah

Post by jah »

To be successful at highly-academic schools, children need to be self-starters. I suggest that you talk things through with your child and get him to decide how much he is going to do. These are bright children, after all!

I suggest doing nothing at all for the last week, except for a pep-talk on exam technique the night before. Then have a nice treat arranged for the afternoon of the test.

Re: maths revision

Post by .......... »

for about 45mins is enough or let them do 45mins have a break and them make them do another 15 mins. :D [/b]

Post by Guest »

I think it depends on how many subjects are being tested at once (Maths and English/VR & NVR). The school we applied for did the VR and NVR first with a 6 week gap before the Maths/English. My daughter did an hour or two of maths a week before the VR/NVR test and has done about 1-2 hours a day since as she was very behind. Our exam is next week. it depends on your child. No more than an hour on school days - more at weekends.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now