So who's starting new schools this week ?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
3pink

So who's starting new schools this week ?

Post by 3pink »

Are you ready ? My DD's are utterly chilled about the whole thing, I'm going grey gathering together the list of essentials though :D
Any words of wisdom ?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd is starting this Friday.

Everything's ready (apart from the labels still to be put on - held off until last minute in case of sudden growth spurt :lol: ).

Great excitement in our household - in fact, I don't know who's more excited me or her!!

She has strict instructions to join every club she wants, we'll worry about the transport arrangements later :shock: :lol:

My greatest wish is that she takes advantage of the opportunities now open to her and that she enjoys each and every moment ( well, most of it anyway!!).
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

DD2 starts on Monday, is rather apprehensive, but I'm sure she'll be fine.
Doesn't help that DD1 and DS don't go back until Wednesday and are enjoying reminding her of the fact at every opportunity!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Bougalou wrote:DD2 starts on Monday, is rather apprehensive, but I'm sure she'll be fine.
Doesn't help that DD1 and DS don't go back until Wednesday and are enjoying reminding her of the fact at every opportunity!
Ha ha - same here. DDs 1 and 2 in Ys 12 and 7 respectively together (HOORAY) on Thursday, and DS and DD3 next Monday.

Best wishes to everyone starting new schools this week.

ML x
Marylou
Freya

Post by Freya »

DS has his first day today! Can't believe he's actually there now - time has gone so fast!

Hopefully he will have a more civilised first day than his friend at the
high school who was "banked" - thrown down a wet, muddy bank in full brabd new uniform by older boys or another friend who had his new school jumper ripped!

Everything seems very good so far. DS has two lockers - one for books and one for sports gear and we have been given a mini calendar book containing every event date and time for this term including sports fixtures and trips etc. Very handy! Oh yes and mobile phones are positively encouraged with strict rules about when and where they can be switched on!

Registration is in his 'house' which has borders accommodation upstairs and downstairs is a large common room with nice comfy sofas, bean bags, large flat screen TV on the wall, a kitchen area and a games room with *** and table tennis. Also downstairs is a prep room with individual desks and their book lockers.

Today is for induction, receiving their timetable and books and learning where all the classrooms are. They will have games all this afternoon. Proper work starts tomorrow. Registration at 8:10am and finish at 7:00pm after prep - what a long day! But they do get their tea. The year nines don't finish till 9:00pm!!

Because we didn't know exactly what games they would be doing DS took his huge sports bag filled with indoor trainers, outdoor trainers, games shorts, games top, tracksuit, hockey stick, shin pads, rugby boots, rugby shorts, rugby shirt, rugby socks, mouth guard . . . oh and the kitchen sink!

I felt so proud this morning to see him looking so smart in his uniform and yes, a little teary too!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

It sounds very exciting Freya - I assume there are more boarders than day given the late hours? Often if this is the case that hours are long so the day pupils can feel like they are not missing out on much and to eventually persuade the pupils and the weary parents that boarding may be the most convenient option! :wink: Could he board, if you wished, and still be able to train with his Rugby clubs outside of school?
Freya

Post by Freya »

Hi Tipsy hope you had a good break!

Yes there are more borders than day pupils and some day pupils do end up boarding eventually. As we are only 1 mile away I'm hoping that DS will remain a day boy for as long as possible. There is the option to board occasionally though if through trips, sports fixtures etc they will be returning very late or departing very early.

The long hours are not actually that arduous as the timetable is broken up by plenty of games and activity periods. For 3 days a week there are games / activities from 3:45pm. Tea is from 5:30pm (included in fees, as is lunch) and tutor supervised prep from 6:15 to 7:15pm

We will have to juggle the rugby. It will be possible for him to leave at 5:30pm, missing tea and prep, in order to attend rugby training but he will have to eat and complete his prep at home afterwards. If he were a boarder this would be more difficult and the school have already started making noises about his sporting commitment being first to the school! They have already said they want to play him up in the U13s rather than the U12s and they haven't even seen him play yet! I can see we may have some fun there!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

DD started properly at her new school today (after an induction afternoon yesterday). Sounds much like your son's setup Freya, though not such long hours! Just as well - DD will have enough to cope with getting used to staying until 5pm after her relaxing lifestyle to date! DD also insisted in taking all her baggage with her - schoolbag (full), sportsbag (full) and jolly hockeystick. She was bent double under all of it :lol: . First engagement of the day was apparently to be chapel but I insisted that she stop off at her house first to get rid of it all.

Now it just remains to be seen whether she'll catch the right bus back...50/50 I'd guess knowing her...
Loopy
Freya

Post by Freya »

LLL - Fingers crossed for your DD on the bus! I'm sure she will be fine, our DC do surprise us with what they are able to do by themselves! Having said that I have been totally unable to concentrate this morning and so have come here for some comfort and therapy! LOL I have DS's daily schedule open in another window and keep looking at it to see what he might be doing now. Aren't I sad eh?
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

I was thrilled yesterday as DS came home (from induction morning) full of enthusiasm, and was up, dressed and ready to go at 0645 this morning...sadly though, I've just had several texts along the lines of 'I hate it here', 'get me out of here at half-term'....so it will be with trepidation that I collect him later...anyone else having similar experience....?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now