HELP!!!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

chardom

HELP!!!

Post by chardom »

Does anybody know anything about this thing to do with physical geography - not sure how the word is spelt but it is 'jike' and rhymes with hike, pike and mike. My DS has been asked to research it for homework but we can't find anything on the internet! Would help if the teacher wrote it down then we would at least know how to spell it!!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I googled jyke and got "joke"

couldn;t have been dyke, could it?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

No knowledge, but busy tapping away just in case I happen upon something. I hate it when this sort of thing happens. Hopefully, your son isn't getting too stressed.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Did your son just HEAR the word? Could it be GNEISS?
'A metamorphosed coarse grained igneous rock. In this rock you get the recrystallization of quartz, feldspars, micas and amphiboles into bands. '
chardom

Post by chardom »

Could well be that Ed's mum! It sounds like it is physical geography related with that definition. He is not too stressed but just a bit puzzled and frustrated really. It's very hard to research on google only hearing the word without a proper spelling. He is taking your definition in and I will let you know what happens! Many thanks. :)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Let me just pop a link up for physical geography words...

I intended to look through every letter of the alphabet, but it was a tad tedious!! Then I thought about G and J sometimes sounding the same, although I doubt it would with this particular word.

http://www.physicalgeography.net/glossary.html
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hurricane Ike, would be a topical and popular introduction to Geography, but not physical geog.

My DS1 often came home with vague homework, I suggested pay attention, write it down, ask a friend or worst case seek clarification from the teacher.

Some times the teachers do test (tease) the kids. :shock:

steve

Coastal Changes due to Hurricane Ike

http://tpeblog.wordpress.com/2008/09/14 ... icane-ike/
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

d and j can be confused too

Dyke
Thin vertical veins of igneous rock that form when magma enters and cools in fractures found within the crust. Also see intrusive igneous rock

can he remember what the rest of teh lesson was about? or did the teacher give any clues?

I remember Miss yoyo had a habit of remembering something needed for homework about 5 minutes before we were due to leave for school
chardom

Post by chardom »

Lesson was physical and human geography and they were also asked to research 'drumlin' which we found quite easily. Don't know if the two are connected somehow!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

possibly

http://tinyurl.com/l3b3xl

this mentions

Drumlins and runnels,
grikes and dykes
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now