Writing on question paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bexley Mum 2

Writing on question paper

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

DS3 is doing the Bexley test in a couple of weeks and I'm now worrying about finer details like - is he allowed to write on the question paper? I can't remember from when my other 2 did the test if this is OK, but I do remember reading somewhere (can't remember which area) about someone's child being told not to do this. I know they will have scrap paper, but when they do the alphabet questions, my son likes to draw links between the letters to help him work out the answers.

It says in the guidance notes for parents issued by Bexley that it "sometimes helps if you write the alphabet out and draw above to show how the groups are chosen". This is a bit time-consuming when the alphabet is already written out in the question paper, but it suggests to me that you're not allowed to mark the question paper.

Anyone got any thoughts? Tracy?!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi BM2,

When dd1 sat both Bexley and Kent she was told not to write on the papers and was given scrap paper.

DD2's tutor works in a Bexley school so I'll ask her tomorrow what happens at her school. We also have a meeting with dd2's head next week so I'll also find out what she plans to tell the children.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Thanks Tracy. I do remember being anxious about DS2 writing on the paper and didn't manage to get a definitive answer so he circled the question numbers on the answer sheets of those he wanted to go back and check if he had time.

The only thing it's really an issue with is the alphabet questions as it's a pain having to write it all out on the scrap paper. When he's practicing he puts pencil marks on the alphabet on the question sheet and rubs them out so he can start afresh with the next one.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Had a word with tutor and writing on the paper is a definate no.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Just had the following email response from Bexley Council:

"Children are told that they shouldn't write on the question booklet and that they should use the rough paper provided. The alphabet printed in the question booklet should be used as a guide without any markings. So yes, if he needs to mark the alphabet he will need to write it out again quickly on the rough paper."

How ridiculous.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

What happens if your child gets a paper that is already marked?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Indeed! Though that's one thing my DS does have practice in dealing with! Having 2 older brothers he's used to me giving him papers with things already written on them. My advice is always, "ignore the pencil marks, your brothers never got 100% in a paper so you don't know if their markings are correct or not!"
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Tracy - I asked if the "no writing on the question paper" rule was because papers were re-used, and, if that was the case, wasn't there a risk of a child getting a 'marked' question paper. I received the following response:

"The papers were previously re-used, and we had to check every one to make sure that there were no marks on them. Now they are mostly not re-used, but the admin instructions have not yet changed."
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Then surely it's just a petty rule that can easily be changed.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

As promised, had the meeting with the Head and it was mentioned: no writing on the question paper.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now