burn out - help needed for wallington exam

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pullingmyhairout

burn out - help needed for wallington exam

Post by pullingmyhairout »

Carrying on from the similar post from scarymary, my DS has been tutored extensively in weekly or bi-weekly group sessions with intensive homework for about a year. His test results were good until a few weeks ago and then dropped sharply. We tried to discuss with the tutor who to be honest was not interested in discussing the issue and seemed to expect DS to carry on with intensive homework as before.

Like scarymary we have now cancelled tutor lessons, feeling that DS needs less pressure and to do some simpler work in his own time with his parents to try to get back into the groove.

However, Wallington test is in 2 weeks!!!! How can we get DS back to peak in such a short time?? Any advice will be more than welcome, likewise any tips on the likely Wallington essay titles?

Thanks a lot!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

In my opinion your DS is likely to perform better in 2 weeks time if you do nothing between now and then. He's clearly bored and fed up with practice and doing more is only going to make him feel worse. If he has a break he might come to the exam fresh and more inclined to put the effort in.

If he's done as much practice as you say, and has been achieving good results, then he won't forget what he has learnt and I don't think anything he could do in two weeks would make much difference to what he already knows.

Now, I just need to apply that advice to myself as my DS starts 11+ exams in two weeks too and the urge to keep getting papers out is, I know, overwhelming!!
pullingmyhairout

Thanks for the reassurance Bexleymum2, I'm sure you're right but you can't help worrying about it anyway can you. When I say 'good results' it's all relative! He still needs to improve his 20 min essay style which is what is worrying me the most. How to do that without overload is the tricky bit.
Nxx

Post by Nxx »

Dear pullingmyhairout ( love the name!)

We too have the same problem, DS to sit the Wallington Exam on 19 Sept, and also stopped tutoring as fear of burn out.

He seems alot happier now, and when I do pull out a paper...or two, his marks have vastly improved.

Don't worry, he will be fine...all the best on the 19! :) :) :)
pullingmyhairout

Thanks Nxx. I'll be logging on as 'baldy' soon. DS definitely a lot happier (as are we). Interesting comment on improvement on marks - we haven't tried anything yet but will see at the weekend. Are you doing much by way of essay practice with DS? I heard they have a choice of titles to choose from but no idea what sort of subjects they might include - any ideas?
Nxx

Post by Nxx »

Only started giving him papers again this week. I just gave him a few ten mins tests in the hols.

Essay titles...no idea. I hope its a story as my DS tends to turn a discussion essay quite easily into a story!!!(ah well...they are only 10 afterall)
pullingmyhairout

Thanks Nxx. It's difficult to remember they're only 10. DS has been working a long shift ever since he started the tutor but is certainly more relaxed now. I'm sure Wallington don't do discussion type or at least not wholly discussion type questions - that's more Sutton Grammar. Will try to think of some easy story lines for him. Best of luck anyway!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

We had the summer off with the exception of a couple of random quick tests...

Probably have 4 sessions of 1hr each between now and the real thing to get back into the swing of it.

As you say 2 weeks to go... see you at the test!

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Plum

Post by Plum »

Hi All
My DS will also be sitting WCGS on the 19th too. I think I'm more nervous than him - he's just fed up with it all! And it's reassuring to know that others are feeling the same!

Over the holidays I've been getting him to write 20 minute essays - his tutor has been expecting him to write longer ones but I don't see the point if all they get is 20 mins in the exam. He hasn't actually finished a 20 min story yet but he is getting more down on paper. Apparently, one of the titles of last year's paper was Panic - which seems so appropriate!

I've managed to find some shorter practice papers on line (and on this website) of 20 - 30 minutes, which seems to suit DS better and I try and get him to do something every day (not always easy) but plan to ease off completely the week before the exam.... easier said than done.

All the best
Pkumx
Nxx

Post by Nxx »

Well...just given DS a Maths paper and......nearly fell off my chair marking it as he has scored 98%!! He had previously done the same paper a few weeks ago and scored 78%... I think the low key stance is actually working!!

Does anyone know how many maths questions there will be to complete in 30mins? Also will it be similar to the Bond 11+ papers as they do not use NFER?

All the best to the boys sitting the exam on the 19!
I 've heard parking is a nightmare on the day too! :wink: