message to Ambridge

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

clare64

message to Ambridge

Post by clare64 »

Hi Ambridge,

We just had our appeal and the panel mostlyasked us questions which directly related to our appeal , they also asked how our son gets on with his homework(!), what sort of books he likes to read and what he does after school.

We don't know the result yet obviously, but the panel tried very hard to make us feel at our ease, asked us if we felt we had had enough time and they had read our appeal and were familiar with it. We didn't take any school work with us and they did ask if we had any (and I wished we had).

I hope yours goes ok, good luck and fingers crossed.

Clare
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Hi Clare64

Thanks for the report back, really kind of you.

Interesting about the school work...hopefully that was just a standard question they ask in case you walk away in a rush without presenting something to them.

Nice question about the homework!!! Will prepare something suitable in case that one comes up, nothing appropriate springs to mind off the cuff, thats for sure!!

Fingers and toes crossed for you, thanks again

x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Clare64

I am sure that the panel will have listened to all you had to say very carefully, and the absence of school books will not have had a big influence on their decision. The evidence is paramount.

I would recommend to parents that they take in carefully selected school books though.

The homework question is very standard - I received that one, and many parents report it. I gave the truthful answer - yes, he has been doing his homework very dutifully, and mostly with enthusiasm, but it wasn't always the case! Etienne may have a view on that reply, but it was honest, at least.

Please let us know the result Clare - I have my fingers crossed for you.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello, Sally-Anne - I see you're doing the late shift!

Not sure what to make of the homework question. It's either a "filler", or some panel members are straying away from the strict criteria (academic ability/extenuating circumstances).

If the latter, I doubt that the chairman or clerk would allow homework to intrude into the criteria when it comes to the decision-making.
Etienne
guest1

School work

Post by guest1 »

On the subject of school work. I asked our child's teacher for some work from year 5 which the previous teacher had praised in the year 5 report and she said absolutely not as they are only interested in current year 6 work and if the best you can do is take work from year 5 it is not very impressive. I can see her point but what do you think everyone? When I read through the current work it doesnt look that impressive but then I dont really know what to expect from a 10 year old. Also in one of the year 6 books (literacy) there is a very negative comment as the teacher had a real problem with my son's handwriting and was being somewhat pedantic (it was small but not that bad) I am worried that this will look bad and ruin our case. She noted that she had given him a verbal warning as he was not enlarging his writing to the size she had specified. If I dont take the literacy book it will be obvious that it is absent. What should I do? Yet more things to worry about!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest1

I would take the Year 5 & 6 literacy books. The children have only had 1 term in year 6, whereas the Year 5 book covers a full year's work. Put post-it notes on the pages that are most impressive to draw them to the panel's attention.

Don't worry about the negative comments about your son's handwriting - The size of his handwriting is really not a major factor in a decision on whether he is grammar school material or not! The teacher is being pedantic, and I am sure that the panel will see that.

As an aside, my own son went through a similar phase at the same age with his handwriting, and it has now settled down to a perfectly sensible size. The children are still "experimenting" with their writing style at this age.

Good luck
Sally-Anne
Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Dear Sally-Anne

Thanks so much for your comments. You are definately right about the pedantic part, first it was too large and then too small. It is just the wording "Verbal Warning" that worried me as though he had deliberately refused to do what she asked, when actually he was confused and trying his best!

I will take both books. Just to add to the comments already made, this site is a lifeline at the moment. I know I am getting stressed but after all we are talking about 7 years of a childs life here.

Guest1
clare64

Post by clare64 »

We got the result of our appeal today and he has got through. This forum has been a fantastic place to look for information especially Appeal Qs and As. Thanks so much to everyone for all the advice and I will be keeping my fingers crossed for those with appeals coming up. Good luck everyone.

Clare
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Clare

So pleased to hear your good news.

Congratulations!
Etienne
dissapointed mum

Post by dissapointed mum »

Congratulations to you and your family. You must be feeling so much more relaxed now.
When was your appeal, It seems pretty quick to have a result, which is pretty encouraging.
Well done once again.
DP