Where to start please?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ramble

Where to start please?

Post by Ramble »

My son is going into Y5. He will (perhaps...long story) be sitting an 11+ on the Wirral in Y6.
I would like to start work with him as soon as possible, nothing major at this stage and trying to keep it low key and fun.
I am aware the Wirral do 21 questions but I am still somewhat confused.
Could anyone offer a good resource for starting him off please...then tell me what to move onto next?
Many many many thanks in anticipation
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm going to move this to Wirral , where you may have more answers.I am not an expert on teh Wirral exams, but of they do 21 types i would suggest looking at this demo

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/dem ... nner-1/f0/

hopefully someone who knows more about the area can give you more help
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Ramble

The decision as to when to start tuition comes down to personal opinion rather than professional advice.
Some tutors recommmend that you do not start the tuition process until January, however some parents do decide to start earlier.

If you intend starting before January the first part of the process is to prepare yourself by looking at a Method & Technique course that covers all 21 question types and all their variances. If you then think that you can tutor your son, use the Method & Technique course and take him through each of the question types.

One of the good things about starting early is that you can treat the process a little more low key than "throwing him in at the deep end". Short sessions, often, with the emphasis on achieving high levels of accuracy on easier question types helps to re-inforce the tutoring process and helps with progression.

It does not matter at this stage whether the questions are of the difficulty of the real tests as long as he can grasp the Method & Techniques for completing the questions. Also he will be developing his vocabulary skills as he is completing questions, which is just as effective as any other method.

The CD referred to by yoyo123 contains 50 basic level questions for each of the types. You could also consider The Tutors short papers levels 1 and 2 for additional practice.

When you think that he can move forward have a look at The Tutors long papers. This is a 12 week course originally designed for Wirral students. The papers need to be completed in pairs, one week apart, to give full coverage of all the question types.

If he is struggling with some question types look at The Tutors Verbal Reasoning CD1 that contains 50 questions for each question type at a more advanced level. (there is a free demo)

If he does not want to complete full tests all of the time or you want to supplement the full tests with additional work look at The Tutors short papers level 3.

Don't worry about repeating the papers as it is unlikely that he will remember all of the answers.

If he eventually finds the papers easy have a look at The Tutors short papers level 4, these are the most difficult variations of the questions type that he will find on the real test.

All of The Tutors products are available from this site and it is more cost efectivce to download material than to purchase hard copies. The Tutors Method & Technique course is available from the free download section.

Wirral tests contain 21 question types written by NFER.
There are 2 papers consisting of 80 questions per paper to be completd in 50 minutes.
The question types are distributed across both papers with an overlap of 3-4 quetion types.
Wirral take an aggregate score of both papers to determine the "pass mark" which is "standardised" to take into account the date of birth of the child.

I know that this may seem to be a bit of an advert for The Tutors material, but hopefully it does offer you a comprehensive response to your question.

If you have any more queries please post again.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
Ramble

Post by Ramble »

Thanks Mike, there is a lot to take in there!
I have had a look at the course and I feel I could tutor him myself...but need to be confident really I am doing the right things. I am an experienced primary school teacher, but this is new to me as I have not worked in an area with the 11+ in place.
So...if I take each question step by step,I can use the CD to give him practice? Do I do a question type each week and then move on or should I cover 2 a week?
Can I get the CD from here? What would you suggest I buy now to start him with?
Many thanks for your help Mike.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Ramble

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

When we tutored on the Wirral and in Cheshire we employed primary school teachers to tutor some of our students. They were all in a similar situation to you. The training that we provided was suggesting that they complete the Method & Technique course and a few full papers before teaching the students. We then provided on-going support, particuarly on the Maths based questions. As we worked as a team either myself our Janet were available to help.

Home tutoring is different to employing the service of a private tutor because parents can spend more time with their child building up a mutually acceptable regime, and starting early is important.

The preparation material should be considered as a whole rather than individual parts. You can work with the method & technique course as initial preparation and have some basic level short papers to complete as well. As you advance through the process you can always refer back to the CD for question types that are difficult and the method & technique course for guidance. Not forgetting to use the forum as a source of support.

You can purchase the CD from this site, but I would recommend that you purchase the download which is considerably cheaper, is exactly the same and you do not have to wait for it to arrive.

My suggestion for intial purchase is the Beginner CD1 download with Levels 1 and 2 of the short paper e-papers and the free course. Then Beginner CD2 and pack 1 of the full paper e-papers. Then Advanced CD1 with Level 3 short papers and pack 2 of the full papers and finally Level 4 of the short papers and pack 3 of the full papers. If your son likes the interactive format then purchase Advanced CD2.

If he is not too exhausted after completing over 6000 of our VR questions then some people recommend that you complete the NFER pack. Although the content of these papers does not contain six question types the answer sheets are the closest to the real tests so are considered worth completing.

Regards

Mike
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

also lots of work on vocabulary, word games, wordsearches, scrabble (using a dictionary)

Look at the free downloads section on the home page. Patricia's compound word list and ideas for games are excellent. particularly the pairs game.

a knowledge of synonyms, antonyms and homonyms helps with VR . There are some excellent games available on the internet if you google.

PM me if you want some suggestions
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Ramble

The Wirral 11 plus uses the same VR test as Bucks. Follows a cut and paste of my advice to parents.

Publishers which currently cover the 21 types required for Bucks include:
AFN [slightly easier] IPS, Susan Daughtrey [Bright Sparks only, NOT her books 1-7], The Tutors, Walsh, Learning Lab

GL Assessment, who publish the Bucks tests only contain 15 types of questions...it is therefore necessary to practice HIKNOS while completing these tests. [HIKNOS are 6 types as identified by IPS]

I would recommend that you start by buying a method and technique book in order to teach yourself how approach each of the questions [IPS]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=85

Or download the Tutors M and T free resource.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/th ... hnique.pdf

IPS also publishes a book containing a selection of each type. Before you administer your first test, teach your child the types contained in that test using the IPS additional questions book, continue this method for the first few tests.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=90

Use tests in the following order...

1] IPS, 10 tests 50 questions, 30 minutes [shorter tests good to begin with]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=88

2] THE TUTORS, 12 tests, 80 questions, 50 minutes...these come as E papers or in packs of 4 [a good middle range of full tests]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... p?g=f&p=21

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/epaper ... =f&c=1&p=6

3] SUSAN DAUGHTREY [Bright Sparks only], 80 questions 50 minutes..2 packs each pack contains 4 tests [ nearer to the standard of the real tests]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=120

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=309

4] GL assessment, 4 tests, 85 questions 50 minutes [remember to practice HIKNOS from IPS when completing these tests, also need to cross off the last 5 questions, as the real test only has 80 not 85] A tad easier than the real tests and practiced tests found in school, but good to practice in the same format as the real tests.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?ex=14

Between steps 1-4 you could [but do not necessarily have to] use the 2 CDs produced by THE TUTORS, Vol.1 contains 50 questions of each type. Vol.2 contains 12 tests. The real test is not computer based, therefore pen and paper would always be the preferred option. In addition you need a separate paper for working out various questions. However some children like these CDs as a filler in to relieve the 'boredom' of pen and paper.

I would also use Walsh and Learning Lab during session time between tests, particulary towards the end, they are good for Vocabulary. However please note that Walsh use brackets in types I AND G which of course are not used by GL assessment. Learning lab require the knowledge of BODMAS for the same types. I tend to cross these off as I do not want to confuse the children.

Do not start until the New Year, between now and then [and for the rest of year 5] ensure your child reads out aloud to you at least 3 times a week, making note of all unknown vocabulary. Vocabulary is without a doubt the biggest problem area. Codes and Maths can be rote learnt. Seeing words out of context will always throw children.

See the following link, for my list of words with an explanation of how to use flash cards as an aid. In addition there is my list of compound words [with games]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/11 ... tricia.pdf

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/11 ... tricia.pdf

There are 4 types of maths questions, they are not rocket science, BUT require an ability to quickly recall the 4 maths operations i.e. adding, subtraction, multiplying and dividing. The quicker the child can recall, the more time can be spent on codes [easy marks, but time consuming] Basically if you ask for 8 x 7 you want the answer 56, now not in 10 seconds time, once they know their times tables inside out and back to front [ up to 12 x] then division becomes easy. Adding and subtraction should be practiced using numbers under 150...try making up games, giving quick fire questions in the car, out for walks etc.

This forum is a wealth of information, look around, take note and get teaching! Any problems just ask, there is always someone willing to help.

Patricia
Mike

Post by Mike »

Wirral do not as far as I know use the same tests as Bucks. If they did then it may be possible for Wirral parents to receive inside information from Bucks as the Bucks tests take place before the Wirral tests.

Both LEAs do use the NFER 21 question types and the tests consist of 80 questions to be completed in 50 minutes.

Bucks set two VR papers but they only consider the highest scoring paper for a pass mark. Therefore a Bucks child would need to score around 86% from a selection of 12/13 of 21 question types.

Wirral also set two VR papers but they use an aggregate score of the two tests for a pass mark. Therefore a Wirral child would need to score around 80% from a selection of 21/21 of 21 question types. As there is an overlap of about 4 question types across the two papers a Wirral student would be faced with a greater variation within those question types.

When selecting resources for preparation one of the key issues for Wirral and Bucks is whether they contain an overlap of questions across two papers that will contain all 21 question types and variances within those question types. Some authors write for LEAs where a single VR paper is sat and they do not appear to consider overlap of questions.

It may also be important to have faith in a single author who provides a Method & Technique course, full papers, short papers and supplementary resources so that the child can follow a generic approach within the preparation process rather than using a pick 'n' mix approach of a range of authors when the format of question papers and answer sheets will be different and confusing to the child.

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mike

I can assure you that Bucks do indeed use the same format as The Wirral, regarding the question types. Of course they would not use exactly the same test, with identical questions...

Your products are of course of a very good quality.

However Members need to know there are other quality papers that are relevant to their area, you are just advertising your own material.

It would not be acceptable to hold a monoploly on the matter.

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Mike wrote:
It may also be important to have faith in a single author who provides a Method & Technique course, full papers, short papers and supplementary resources so that the child can follow a generic approach within the preparation process rather than using a pick 'n' mix approach of a range of authors when the format of question papers and answer sheets will be different and confusing to the child.

Regards

Mike
This comment is not a particulary respectful to other good, relevant, respected publishers such as Susan Daughtrey, IPS, Walsh and Madeliene Guyon [Learning Lab]

The papers that are closest in format to Nfer/Gl assessment with both the question booklet and answer sheet is Susan Daughtrey [the packs with 4 test papers in each, formerly known as Bright Sparks]

Its not always helpful to have identical pairs of tests as the child is seeing the same mix on each test every time, which of course will not happen in a real test. Therefore completing a variety of tests from different publishers will iron out any bias an author may have in repect of how they use the question types over a 2 tests. Using a variety of publishers also ensures the greatest amount of variation within each question type.

My suggestion to you is to use your questions in your 12 full lengh tests, still use the 21 over 2 papers, but give them a mix up so they are not identical pairs. A bit of copying and pasting, to make them a tad more like the real set up.

You still have a good product range. It is still unacceptable to have a monopoly.

It may be a good idea to make this thread a sticky, so parents are aware of the full range of relevant publishers.

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now