Getting back into the swing of things!

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lady.in.blue

Getting back into the swing of things!

Post by Lady.in.blue »

Ok so 11 year old DD has a bedtime of about 9pm on a school night.

Though this holiday because for the first few weeks we wouldn't really be going out, I let her stay up as long as she wanted aslong as it was before I went to bed.

DD agreed to this and decided to go to bed at 11pm. As it got more into the holidays she went to bed later and later and LATER. It soon ended out that she was getting to sleep around 12am.

So she is starting secondary school on Monday, And so on Thursday I cut her bed time gradually to 11pm, Then I made her go to bed at 10:30pm last night. The problem is, she STILL wasn't getting to sleep till 12am!

I am really worried as it is now Saturday and she has to be asleep by 9:15pm to get up at 6:45am on Monday.

I feel so ashamed :cry:

Please I beg of you all HELP!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

It probably sounds trite - but I'd say 'don't panic'!

Although I don't know your DD, I'd guess that the first few days of school will be so shattering that she'll be asleep well before midnight as soon as term starts. If our experience is anything to go by, she'll voluntarily go to bed a bit early after a while!

The only person to suffer will probably be you when you have to wake her up on the first few mornings...

Certainly in our family the stress of 'having to be asleep by' a certain time is the one thing that stops us sleeping, so we've all agreed that 'it really doesn't matter as long as you are resting quietly in bed'!

All the best for Monday!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

We are in exactly the same situation, although my children are in years 6 and 8!!

I agree with Warks Mum - the tiredness will soon set in once she has started at her new school. With tiredness comes sleep! I feel fairly certain that you, and she, will be back into a more normal routine very soon. The first few days at school will be fine even if she IS tired as the adrenaline will get her through. Then she can have extra sleep over the weekend as she needs it.

Try not to worry, I think it will all be fine. I hope Monday goes well for her. x
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Us too. My youngest was going to bed as late as we were during the holidays, and started secondary school on Wednesday. It was a shock to the system, he could hardly sleep on Tuesday evening, still wired on Wednesday and Thursday evenings and yesterday he was absolutely exhausted in the evening. He took himself off to bed last night at 9pm, (unheard of on a Friday night!) and stayed in bed till 10.30 this morning. He's feeling still a bit tired, but hopefully his routine will kick in properly this week.

Good luck for next week, and don't worry, your daughter will soon adapt and get the right amount of sleep.

LFH
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

How is he getting on in his new school LFH?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thank you CM for asking.So far so good, bit of a hiccough with buses, but getting there. Top set for maths, thankfully, no setting done yet in the other subjects. And he has made some friends too. They seem to serve pizza every day at lunchtime, which he is happy with, but I'm not so sure about this- healthy schools and all :shock: He also wants to go on a ski trip next year, so his brother and sisters are extremely jealous :mrgreen: (sorry again Ed's mum) their GS would never have undertaken a ski trip! - but I'm not so sure about that yet.
So we'll see, I'm glad this week is over and he's begun, now I just have to look forward to his brother going to Uni and leaving home, gulp.I hope your daughter has settled in well too. It is such a big deal for them, which is why I haven't been getting too stressed about bedtimes etc, knowing he'll eventuually settle down.

LFH
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Glad to see all is well.Pizza seems to loom large at DD's school too.First day she had pizza and chips! :roll:
Ski trip sounds good too.
All the best
CM
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

:mrgreen: I'm happy to share LFH! I'm glad that all is going well. x
zorro

Post by zorro »

Pizza? :shock: My DS would be ecstatic! He says their meals are 'too healthy'. As for chips.............!
Definitely go for the ski trip if you can.My son went last year - had never skiied before and loved it. He is now hooked and will be going again this year.