Alternatives to GS in Warwickshire - Alcester / Studley Area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rose petal

Alternatives to GS in Warwickshire - Alcester / Studley Area

Post by Rose petal »

I am hoping DD can attend Alcester Grammar School, but obviously need to think about alternatives. I think we will consider Alcester High School and Studley High School and staying put at her current middle school. However, I don't know of many/any children at these two high schools. Does anyone out there know much about them? Any information / thoughts / opinions greatly received. Obviously I will read the prospectuses and go to the open evening but that is no substitute for the view of current or past pupils and their parents.

As you can probably tell from the above, I do not live in Warwickshire, but it would seem from looking at the Warwickshire admission booklet that we would stand a chance of admission at both high schools as it states "Offers made to all applications". I have also been told that I am in catchment for AGS and Stratford Girls Grammar.

Thanks in advance.

Rose Petal
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

As far as I know you can apply to both Alcester Grammar and Stratford Girls Grammar but the pass mark in the 11+ is usually higher for Stratford. You may also want to read the AlcesterGrammar Ofsted report which criticises the huge 6th form at Alcester and says that letting in so many in year 12 brings down the A level results for not just the new entrants but a lot of existing students as well.
Would you be in catchment for Chipping Camden or any of the Glos. Grammar schools?
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

Thanks for the response. Chipping Camden and other Gloucestershire schools would be too far to travel on a daily basis and I assume it would be too late now to apply as my DD will start year 7 next September.

I have just been looking at the AGS ofsted report from March 2009 which rates the school as outstanding.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/oxedu_provider ... %29/125770

I have to admit that I have only skimmed this but I can't seem to see the comments to which you are referring to. Could you please let me know what page number they are on?
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Really sorry - I did think the comments were in an ofsted report but in actual fact I think they are in one of the Schools Adjudicator decisions regarding the south warwickshire grammar schools and their admission arrangements.
They stuck in my mind because DH had just been toan interview there and came back home a bit surprised that the Head did not seem to like selective education very much and seemed to want to turn the sixth form into more of an open access college.
Indeed, although the GCE results are very good compared to the national average they do seem to be consistently below the other grammar schools and the comments I remember reading laid the blame for this squarely at the door of the open access policy to the sixth form.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Hi magwich,

I think if I was making references to disparaging OFSTED comments about a school on a public website, I would feel I needed to make absolutely sure I had my facts straight.

[Personal remarks trimmed by WP]

It would be great if you could post a link to the report of the adjudicator where reference was made to the detrimental impact on existing students' results caused by 6th Form Admission policy.
WP

Post by WP »

magwich2 wrote:Really sorry - I did think the comments were in an ofsted report but in actual fact I think they are in one of the Schools Adjudicator decisions regarding the south warwickshire grammar schools and their admission arrangements.
Here is a list of all the adjudication decisions for Warwickshire schools. There are only a few relating to S Warks grammars, but on a quick scan I was unable to find these comments. Which one are you referring to?