Has anyone taken the TV bait?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mike1880

Has anyone taken the TV bait?

Post by mike1880 »

I don't often go past the home page on the main site but I happened by this week. So now I'm curious to know - have any of this year's parents been tempted by the Blast Films flyer?

I saw bits of their "My New Best Friend" about Y7s at Cheltenham Ladies College last year so I shall be looking out for this one.

Mike
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi Mike,

I'm afraid I've delined the offer to be on the small screen. I'm finding the whole 11+ in 2 consecutive years thing stressful enough without the intrusion of TV crew and cameras. Besides, with his every move charted how would my son fit in his numerous papers every day???
Joking apart, personally it would be my idea of **** to be filmed and I'm sure my son would hate the very thought. It raises a whole new set of issues doesn't it? Anonymity on here compromised for a start.. not to mention whether child gets in/doesn't get in and all the repercussions etc.
I'll look out for the prog tho'. If you're aware of when it's on would you please post details on here and I'll do likewise if I spot it in TV schedules.

Hope you son is settling in well at C Hill. Early days I know, but so far ,so good with my daughter. I don't think the "real" work will start till next week and that will be the test.
clarendon
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I admit I was really just looking for an excuse to point it out to anyone else like me who rarely passes that way and hadn't seen it - I'm not really expecting a response from anyone who's signed up (probably had to sign an NDA, quite apart from the anonymity aspect). MNBF was good though so this should be well worth looking out for (but not taking part in! I don't believe anyone who's already been through an 11+ year would even consider adding that to all the angst and stress!!!).

Fingers crossed, but son is revelling in CH after two days. They seem to be easing them in fairly gently, although he's had four pieces of homework already (but pretty undemanding and he's done three already - not at all like him!). He's also become sooooo confident and sensible suddenly! Hope it carries on, early days as you say. Let's see how he feels after first games session on Friday... will need forklift to get his bag to school and back that day though, can't believe the weight he's lugging round today. How's Miss C's workload and bagload?

Mike
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Mike,
My daughter's bag is also extremely heavy and with only neccessaries in there at the mo' dread to think what it'll weigh when textbooks added . Assuming they DO still use them, of course, and not solely use internet!

She's had no homework aside from copying out her timetable but had such things as drama, PE yesterday and again today, music, science.
Main thing she's struggling with is the earlier start.. she's leaving the house when bro' is getting up... much nicer start to the day for me tho' divide and rule and all that!
In hindsight, we're both relieved she's at a local school as I dread to think what her moods would be like if she had to be on the school bus for 7.20am. All's worked out for the best and thus far she's a very happy girl!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

7:50 start for an 8am bus for ours (he could perhaps just about get away with the next one 20 mins later but we haven't told him that - much rather he had some time in hand!), he's coping quite well apart from last minute tie-knotting panic attacks (I'll be interested to see what's round his neck when he comes home after swimming tomorrow!). That gives me half an hour to try to compensate for the acute attention deficit disorder Miss 1880 has developed since we went to buy his uniform in June.

Long journeys and early starts seem all very well when you're in application frenzy but when you finally send them out of the door it's a great comfort to know they don't have to go very far!

Mike
za1

School Year

Post by za1 »

Hi Mike, Clarendon,

Glad to see that your kids are coping well.

Same with my son.....lots of books, heavy bag etc. He's walking to school by himself as we live 20 minutes walk away (to be fair there is one main road to cross and we have 'watched' him cross this road to and from school for the 1st 2 days).

Last night, he bought his French exercise books home for covering with plastic. I've just bought some exercise book covers from Staples. I remember in the good old late 70s when I was 10 - I didn't need my Dad to help me in the same way! I covered my Geography exercise book with a Tesco carrier bag ; my RE book was covered in a stylish white woodchip wallpaper ; my English book was a more cavalier orangy bedroom wallpaper.

These days - you pay £1.50 and get 5 ready made plastic exercise book covers. Very boring. No artistic talent required at all.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Last night, he bought his French exercise books home for covering with plastic.
That's interesting, he's brought an enormous bagful of books home but no mention of covering anything in plastic - considering they're in the same form I might need to do a bit of interrogation this evening!

Wood chip - :lol: :lol: I remember! Mine were all done in anaglypta and something tastefull with a fern pattern left over from the dining room!

Mike
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

I have been covering a few books lately with mixed results... this thread prompted me to google...

http://www.wikihow.com/Cover-a-Paperbac ... astic-Film

Must try that next time

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
fm

Post by fm »

Well, the girls school are definitely more creative. They had to stick on anything they thought typified France. I had my girl stick on Brigette Bardot (pre battle axe days)!
solimum

Post by solimum »

My daughter's school have a competition for the Yrs 7-9 geography book covers (they're put on show at Open Day) which over the years has caused a great deal of creative anguish in households throughout the district....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now