A level psychology

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pensby

A level psychology

Post by Pensby »

My DD is in year 11 and starting to think about A levels, she is pretty sure about chemistry and geography and probably english language but has to choose a 4th.

She is thinking of psychology but my DH and I know nothing about it! I know she can find out from school but just wondered if anyone has any experiences at AS or A level.

I am concerned if it is considered a "soft" choice in which case will discourage her.She wants to go to uni possibly to do chem or geog.

thanks Pensby
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My Daughter did Psychology at A level, along with History and French

She is now at a Russell Group University studying History, I don't think they regarded it as a soft option.

She enjoyed the more science based aspects of the subject, but not the relationship/social science parts as much.

She was unsure whether to continue with history to degree level or psychology.

My son has just started an AS in psychology
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Thanks Yoyo 123 DD likes science so sounds like she enjoy it ! good to hear it's recognised by uni's .

Good luck to your Dd at Uni hope she enjoys her course -I work in a Uni and the freshers will descend soon !

thank Pensby
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Thanks she's going back for final year on Sunday, I think reality is beginning to hit home!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think it depends on what she wants to study so do be careful.

A friend's daughter wanted to do dentistry( Cardiff I think) and they won't count the psychology which has kind of messed up her plans as she is already one year into A'levels and not doing very well in one of her other options.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Psychology is a very popular option at A level - I think it appeals as a "new" subject that hasn't already been "suffered" at GCSE. The latest subject-by subject results I've managed to track down show it as 5th most popular in 2008 - behind English, Maths, Biology & General Studies (it's actually the 2nd most popular among girls) As a disadvantage that might mean quite large classes. People often find it surprisingly hard too with a lower rate of A grades than most of the other "standard" subjects (although that could be a reflection of its popularity).

It is not on the notorious Cambridge list of "soft" subjects

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... evolt.html

so would presumably be fine as a generic A level for many broad degree choices, but as other posters have pointed out you may very well need to check the specific requirements of some courses at some institutions, especially those needing science A Levels
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I've always wondered why Psychology is sometimes seen as a soft subject. I'm sure there is a huge amount of written essay work involved and surely if you want to study it at uni you should have done it as an A'level. :?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:. I'm sure there is a huge amount of written essay work involved
There is!
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Thanks for all the advice -it sounds like a good option depending on what she wants to do at uni -

her dad is trying to persuade her to do maths ,she got a high A in her first module but she is dead against it ! I struggled to get an O level in it ( never my strong point) so can't advise on that!

DD said she has a career interview next week so I guess they can help.

I can't believe she is thinking about 6th form and uni it seems five minutes since she started year 7 !

thanks again Pensby
solimum

Post by solimum »

Looking at her other three choices there is a lot of coursework/ essay writing in all of them and I would be tempted to agree with her dad and go for maths, keeping chemistry, geography and psychology instead of the English (but then I am a Maths, Further Maths & science girl myself...). I would have thought anything vaguely scientific would be far better with maths, and it keeps more of her options open.