Nursery University

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

resmum

Nursery University

Post by resmum »

Did anyone else see the program the other night about the scramble for places at elite pre-schools in New York?

The sight of all those highly competitive investment bankers earnestly trying to get "face time" with the staff in order to improve their chances of paying $10k a year for their infant to play in an upmarket sandpit was hilarious.

For $4k you can even employ a consultant who will guide you through the "process" - no guarantee of a place though!

Funnily enough, the richest family got offers from all the pre-schools (maybe the principal could sense some hefty donations coming their way!)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

no, but wish I had.

Do you know if it's being shown again? Or perhaps which channel it was on?
resmum

Post by resmum »

I saw it on More 4 - so it must have been broadcast on channel 4 at some point. Don't know if they will repeat it - but you could check the website.

Resmum
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I saw it and it made us all look soooo normal! :lol: Some of the fees were $20k per semester! :shock: The family who got offers were unbearable but the few positive things I took from the doc were:

1)we are very lucky in this country
3)our kids are fortunate they were born here 8)
2) American dads take more interest in their kids educations. Well, maybe too much interest but better than none...not pointing the finger at anyone I know (ahem)...
resmum

Post by resmum »

I think its only in central NY where they have this problem. In the suburbs of US cities its much easier to build new pre-schools to cope with demand.

It's true the Dads were very interested but then it had been made pretty clear to them that if they didn't show willing they needn't bother filling in the application form.

I have to say, though that I was somewhat surprised rich Dad was so keen to leave his princess in the clutches of the Cruella De Ville who ran the Epiphany Pre-school!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now