new hall

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gina from clacton

new hall

Post by gina from clacton »

daughter due to sit exam next month . any tips?
gina from clacton

i guess if im the only one in essex with a child doing the exam my chances are pretty good!!!!!! only joking!!!! please someone help respond to me , give us some tips

Post by Guest »

Gina, do you know the format of the exams? Is it multiple choice/ standard.
Maths /English/ vr/nvr. What school? Grammer indepenant?

Post by Guest »

Sorry - not from my area but you have made me chuckle!!!! Hope someone from your area replies soon.

CLP
jezebel

Post by jezebel »

Hi Gina -
I have prepared children for these exams in the past as a tutor and had one girl sit (and pass!) last year.
The maths is fairly straightforward - quite similar to any work she will have covered in her KS2 work, whether educated privately or in the state system.
For the last few years the English has been quite challenging in its format. It is not the usual style comprehension paper, but much more open - a single question asking children to comment on the author's technique or style. It is basically an essay about the passage. A lot of children find this very difficult, and it is presumably done so that children cannot be readily tutored for the paper.
Hope this helps a bit! Sorry it is so late in the day.
Jez
Clacton Dad

Exam Next Month

Post by Clacton Dad »

Is this for the Eleven + Exam for Essex Grammar school as these were in November and the late one should have been in December ? Or is this a specific school exam as these do vary.

11 + Standard format for this year.

Maths Easy
VR OK
English A Level Standard.

Hope this Helps.
gina from clacton

yes, it is an independant school. i know very little about what they are looking for so thankyou for all your replys. she has already sat the 11 plus , so hopefully that was good preparation for the new hall test. i have heard that all schools nowadays are over subscribed so, i was just trying to get some tips, many thanks to everyone who replied.
another mum

new hall

Post by another mum »

My daughter sat the New Hall entrance exam last year and said it was much easier than the 11+. She was offered a place but we turned it down because she got into CCHS where she is very h appy.
guest666

New Hall

Post by guest666 »

Glad your daughter is happy. Wouldn't want any child to be otherwise.

Count yourself lucky you have the financial capacity to have the choice though. Most don't.

Post by Guest »

I know several people, girls and boys, who sat the New Hall paper last year and they were all offered places. If your not offered a place immediately, don't fret. As they offer a lot of places, they get a lot of people turn down places as most people sit for at least two schools.