Just Starting Out

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rookie

Just Starting Out

Post by Rookie »

Hello to everyone on this very informative Forum. Our son is due to sit the 11+ in 2007 and I'm beginning to think about preparation. Have been trawling through this Forum and now have a pretty good idea of what material I need to buy and the order in which to use it (Thanks Patricia). However where do we begin - not straight into practice papers I assume? Any advice would be appreciated.
helpful

Post by helpful »

You should get a techniques and practice book either by AFN or IPS then start work on CD Volume 1 by the Tutors. Good Bucks advice in the 11 plus regions section on this website:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plus-bucks.php
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Rookie

See the following link....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=929

Any further questions please ask....

Patricia
Rookie

Post by Rookie »

Many thanks for the advice and have had a quick look at the links. Patricia,it's interesting that you suggest beginning tackling the questions in the New Year and to concentrate on reading and vocab building until then. I know of a number of people who have already started their children with tutors. They're receiving 1-2 hrs tuition together with weekly homework exercises. Do you think this is too much too soon? Thanks...
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Rookie

Starting any earlier than the new year is overkill, the child will become bored, reluctant to work and begin to 'hate' 11 plus time.

A bit of preparation is more beneficial, quick at the 4 operations, lots of reading out loud, making note of ALL unknown vocabulary.

My homework consists of a 50 minute test, finishing off a 10 x 10 tables square and vocab words.

Please do not feel obliged to start on the tests/teaching of types too early.

Patricia
Eddie Mikewards

Post by Eddie Mikewards »

Hi

My best mate Mike Edwards, who I have never met says:

As soon as we realised Tracy was expecting we recorded the methods and techniques required to complete the 11+ entrance tests.

He thinks that development of the foetus can be influenced by recordings played to the child.

After six months it became quite noticeable that the developing child was quite calm during periods when the 11+ cd was being played.

Lewis was born on Saturday morning, my hero Mike Edwards says that explaining Pythagoras' Theorem sends him to sleep quite quickly.

Now Janets children are bored and reluctant to work and they are 22, 24 and 26 year old, so perhaps there is hope for the grandchild!

Regards

Eddie

Post by Guest »

Do NOT look at 11+ papers till next year. March at least

Get him reading lots of books...Asking questions about words

Make sure his times tables and Long addition, subtraction etc is sharp.

Let him do puzzles, i.e Suduko, Crosswords, Word searches...

This will give him a good start. It's overkill even looking at 11+ this early.

A tutor once a week after NEW year.
Rookie

Post by Rookie »

Thanks, everyone and I think I get the picture regarding not starting too soon. We already play scrabble with him (and encourage him to score) which is a start.

Patricia, regarding homework, how many words/week do you hand out?

Have now purchased all the IPS publications and acquired from a friend some Susan Daughtrey Stuff too. (Can see straight away, though that, as has already been said, some of this is irrelevant to Bucks). I assume there's no harm in doing the exercises that ARE relevant though? Now need to sit down now and familiarise myself with the various question types ready for the onslaught in the New Year!
Rookie

Help with type m please

Post by Rookie »

Happy New Year to everyone on this Forum.

OK we've decided to go down the DIY route and have started going through the different types. He's struggling with type M, analogies and I would appreciate any pointers.

One Question confused me:

Trap is to (hole, snare, part) as swap is to (exchange, paws, trade)

He gave the answer part and paws (anagram) and this is the correct answer in the book. However why couldn't it be snare and exchange (similars)? I'm concerned that if I can't get my head round it then he doesn't stand a chance! Any help would be appreciated.

Post by Guest »

funnily enough I would have given your answer not your sons. Sometimes there does seem to ambiguity in the practice papers. Lets hope its different for the real thing!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now