Marking a practice paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nicki6567

Marking a practice paper

Post by Nicki6567 »

I am marking a practice paper DS sat at school today. The school haven't supplied the answer sheet - so I've had to actually work it all out myself - my head hurts!

I have a couple of queries... I just cannot work these ones out.

1.Four letters hidden at the end of one word and the beginning of another to make a new word.

I had a cheese sandwich for lunch

2. Next number in the sequences

5 8 14 26 50 ?

1 8 5 11 7 12 7 ?

Any help would be very grateful.

Many thanks
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Ache A CHEese
The first series of numbers doubles the interval between the numbers each time. So it would be 50 + 48 (98)

Just going to look at the second one now.

I currently have no idea on the second series!
Nicki6567

Post by Nicki6567 »

[quote="Ed's mum"]Ache A CHEese
The first series of numbers doubles the interval between the numbers each time. So it would be 50 + 48 (98)

Hi, Thanks - he did actually randomly choose the right answer for ache, just couldn't explain why - lucky guess!

I get the first number sequence now - a silly mistake by me in my mental maths - whoops.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Anyone know the second one? My brain is aching!!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Okay, got it!!

the sequence goes...

+7 -3 +6 -4 +5 -5

So the next number should be +4 11
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Nicki

If you PM me your email address and tell me which paper it is (Paper 1?) I can email the answer sheet to you. I can also send the answer sheet for Paper 2 over as well if you will need it.

Sally-Anne
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

yes! my 10yr old got ACHE. There IS hope. :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

first one can also be double x minus 2
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Nicki

Have you received the familairisation sessions booklet? They normally come home with a separate booklet, the answers to all the tests are included.

Which brings to mind the inconsistencies between schools.

School 1] Test A completed, taken in to be marked by the teachers [because this particular school uses them to rank the children, which of course they are not supposed to do!] Test NOT ALLOWED to come home. Familarisation booklet sent home in the summer.

School 2] Test A completed, sent home with marking scheme for parents to mark. Familiarisation booklet sent home at the same time.

School 3] Test A completed, marked by the children, but NOT ALLOWED to bring home until all 3 tests completed. Familiarisation NOT ALLOWED home either.

Which of course is not a fair process.

Patricia
Nicki6567

Post by Nicki6567 »

patricia wrote:Dear Nicki

Have you received the familairisation sessions booklet? They normally come home with a separate booklet, the answers to all the tests are included.

Which brings to mind the inconsistencies between schools.

School 1] Test A completed, taken in to be marked by the teachers [because this particular school uses them to rank the children, which of course they are not supposed to do!] Test NOT ALLOWED to come home. Familarisation booklet sent home in the summer.

School 2] Test A completed, sent home with marking scheme for parents to mark. Familiarisation booklet sent home at the same time.

School 3] Test A completed, marked by the children, but NOT ALLOWED to bring home until all 3 tests completed. Familiarisation NOT ALLOWED home either.

Which of course is not a fair process.

Patricia
Hi Patricia,
It seems to be very inconsistent.

Yes, we received the fam booklet, but the answer sheets were not included.

The first practice paper came home with an answer sheet.
This one came home without one - obviously my DS wanted to know how he scored, so I sat the test myself (!) and these were the 3 that stumped me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now