Pass marks on 11+ tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

extremely stressed mum

Pass marks on 11+ tests

Post by extremely stressed mum »

Hi still stressed... please can anyone give me a definitive answer as to what the pass mark is on each test paper? I am told a child has to reach more than 75% on each paper to get a pass, what does this actually mean out of 140 questions on each paper. Is 100 answers correct 75% or what? Please can somebody assist me. Thank you in anticipation!!
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I don't think that there is a definitive answer. It all depends on how the other children do and age standardisation.

Also, there aren't necessarily 140 questions either. 140 is just the maximum mark you can get on a paper, but to get 140 you don't need to get 100% either ( it depends on factors mentioned above).
extremely stressed mum

Post by extremely stressed mum »

Thanks. I am worried with all the hard work my daughter has put in that the end result will be a no go'er for grammar school.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I think that just in case , its a good idea to "big up" the alternative school that she is likely to go to if she doesn't get the grammar school.
katel

Post by katel »

The exact pass mark is variable, but unless you are going for one of the superselectives you don't need to get anything like 75% to get a grammar school place. There used to be a brilliant explanation of the system on Judd School's website, but I can't find it. Someone will come along soon who'll know - but please be reassured that the "ordinary mortals" at the non super selectives don't have 75% in each paper!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

phew! :lol:
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Katel, is this what you was referring to?

THE KENT TESTS – INFORMATION FOR PARENTS

The maximum score in any of the Kent PESE tests is 140, but this does not equate to 100%.

Historically, the score of 140 equates to approximately 75% on any one test.

A minimum selective score of 120 equates to approximately 50%.

The tests are in:
Verbal Reasoning (80 questions)
Non-Verbal Reasoning (72 questions)
Mathematics (50 questions)

Figures are approximate because older children in the year group needed to gain a slightly higher % than this, whilst younger children could gain a slightly lower %. In addition, there is a variation from year to year.

There is no guarantee that this pattern (standardisation) will continue or that commercially produced practice tests match this distribution.
toy

Post by toy »

Tracy, that is so reassuring to know. DS is one of the oldest, I wonder what slightly higher equates to historically.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I have no idea, I simply copied this from the Judd website. It's nice to see something on an official website rather than rely on gossip and it made me feel a whole lot better. :D
mystery

the difference

Post by mystery »

the Judd head once told me that the difference between a September born child and an august born child in the standardisation process was that the older one would have to get 2 or 3 more questions right to get the same score as an august born child. I presume he meant on each paper. Hope this helps.

But, heads don't know everything about 11+ scoring etc as they don't do it !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now