maths questions

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

toy

maths questions

Post by toy »

Bond 4, q48
Rulers cost the same as erasers. Four of the following cost the same. Which does not cost the same as the rest.
a, 2 rulers , 3 erasers
b, 1 erasers, 2 rulers, 6 pencils
c, 2 erasers, 2 rulers, 2 pencils
d, 2 rulers, 2 erasers, 4 pencils
e, 3 erasers, 1 ruler, 2 pencils

Bond 2, q26
Look at these clouds of numbers
14,15,16 15,16,18 16,18,20 15,16,14 14,15,20
In which cloud are the numbers multiples of EITHER 4 OR 5

For the first question, DS didn't do it because he said, the price of pencil was not mentioned.
For the second question, he said the sentence should have been 4 and 5 not 4 or 5, so he didn't pick any answers!

Any ideas in explaining these to him.
Thanks
fm

Post by fm »

For the first one I advise them to nominate numerical values to the erasers and rulers, say 1p for each or give the amount an algebraic letter.

Thus you have:

a) 5p
b) 3p + 6pencils
c) 4p + 2 pencils
d) 4p + 4 pencils
e) 4p + 2 pencils

The value of p is actually irrelevant because it is obviously that D can't be right, because C and E are the same but contradict with it.

As to the AND/OR question, I'd give examples.

E.G. 20, 40, 60 are multiples of (both) 4 and 5.
20, 25, 28, 32 are multiples of (either) 4 or 5.

Hope this helps.
toy

Post by toy »

Thanks fm, I get q2 but q1 is still unclear. C and E are the 2 that are the same, the other options differ, so how can you choose the right answer.
fm

Post by fm »

Only 1 is wrong and different from the others.

C and E are definitely the same, whereas you can see D is not so it is definitely wrong. You don't have to worry about the rest.

That said, I think you have copied the question wrongly and B should have been 1 eraser and 1 ruler. This gives you a revised:

a) 5p
b) 2p + 6 pencils
c) 4p + 2 pencils
d) 4p + 4 pencils
e) 4p + 2 pencils

From this you can see that 2 pencils are the same price as 1 eraser. So nominating the price of eraser and rubber to 1p and the pencils to 1/2p you have:

a) 5 pence worth
b) 5 pence worth
c) 5 pence worth
d) 6 pence worth
e) 5 pence worth

But I still think the idea is the child spots the discrepancy between C/E and D, and therefore selects D without bothering with the rest.

This is the sort of question I would advise a competent but not necessarily brilliant child to make a quick guess, ring to remind themselves it is a guess and move on, returning only at the end if they have time. Ultimately it is better to get 40 out of 45 attempted right than make loads of careless mistakes trying to answer all 50 questions and getting 35.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now