Highsted Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jenhug

Highsted Grammar

Post by jenhug »

Does anyone have any comments of this Sittingbourne Girls Grammar at all please? Good or bad.
katel

Post by katel »

I only have hearsay. My dd has a friend there who has found it to be very formal and quite a "cold" place. Academically excellent of course.

We don't live a million miles from the school, but didn't choose it because we weren't very happy with the idea of our dd hanging around Sittingbourne in the evenings. She has a longer journey, but hangs round in Canterbury instead - a bit more salubrious.

As ever, it's horses for courses - have you been to look round?
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

Hi, no we haven't been to look yet, we are a Medway area pupil doing the Kent test also, the main hope would be a Medway Grammar, with a Sittingbourne or Maidstone Grammar as a back up.
katel

Post by katel »

Ah, so my exhaustive knowledge of Canterbury schools won't be much use to you!

Don't forget QE Faversham in your planning!
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

I just couldn't cope with getting her that far every day!
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

I moved my daughter from a Medway Grammar to Highsted last year, lots of reasons for the move but not really relevant to this thread.
I was initially wary of Highsted when we were looking (we live in the Swale area so she sat both Kent and Medway tests and passed both.) Highsted was always her first choice if not mine, my thoughts were hinged around how come they get such good results? do they hot house the girls? would my daughter cope if they did?
Well all I can say is that they have been great! They helped her cope with the transition by allowing her to spend 2 days in the school as a tester. The year 7 support worker was excellent for both her and me and helped us through what was really an awful time.
The teachers have been great and allowed her to catch up on any missing work at her own pace.
Parents evening was a joy as they all had a good insight into her as a person even though she had only been there for a few months.
The other girls were great too and made her welcome and accepted her into the class and tutor groups readily. They have vertical tutor groups where there is a mix of all year groups which seems to work really well.
The only negative thing is that the after school clubs seem a bit lacking.
As to hanging around Sittingbourne, my son is at the boys grammar around the corner to Highsted and at 16 now hangs around Highsted to mix with the girls! Hope this helps.
red_debs
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

thanks, that is very helpful. My daughter is SEN so from my point of view that sounds very promising. can I ask which school you changed her from? Would love to know why but appreciate you may not want to share the reasons.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now