Can anyone reccomend which cds are best for tiffin/sutton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shaftsbury1

Can anyone reccomend which cds are best for tiffin/sutton

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

hello
i have just posted a message on the cds forum but i thought it would be good to ask anyone experienced from this forum?
ds definitely needs nvr help but i was thinking about the maths as well?
i know jaysdarlin you have mentioned the cds,what would you (or anyone else) recommend?
thnks in advance
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

We used the tutors first maths cd as it meant we could practice a few of the same sort of question which my ds was having problems with. However we did find it a bit awkward then having to do working out separately on another piece of paper.

Sorry don't know about NVR as we didn't sit Tiffin.
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

thank you surrymum,
i had a feeling after reading the cds forum that there was a lot of positive feedback on the nvr and vr . but not much mention of the maths.
would you say it was useful despite the awkwardness of use?
oscar11

Sutton exams

Post by oscar11 »

Boys do not need non verbal reasoning for Sutton. It is only Maths/ English and Verbal Reasoning.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

but they do need it for Tiffin.

We found the maths CD mildly useful in that it gave me some examples of questions with percentages as I had got very fed up of writing my own. If I had my time again (and I'm soooo glad I don't ) I probably wouldn't get it again :)
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

I think CD1 was good to familiarize children with the types of questions for VR.. and CD2 was good bcz it showed how long you took on each question, so you could see where the child struggled.

I didn't like the NVR CD though (sorry :? ) bcz I found the answers ambiguous. I suppose they have merit when starting off though, as I bought them in a last minute desperate attempt when I had run out of NVR material - but ds was way too advanced by that time and got very disheartened at the double answers.
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Thank you all for your feedback!
Sorry to pick your brains further but which vr cd,there r i think 4 or 5.
My ds knows his techniques well for vr, just needs vocab building. But struggling a little with nvr. are the first cds guides or just practise?
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

the tutors volume 2 is good for vocab building i guess. bcz tutors 1 would be learning the technique - but if you want serious vocab building then those 15 minute tests are great.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

are the first cds guides or just practise?
They are practice.

Bond "How to do NVR" is good, but not all th etypes aof questions are relevant. However if you use it in conjunction with the CDs it is useful.

If you have plenty of time before the test, the AE Tuition NVR workbooks 1 & 2 are very good, they take you through step by step.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?g=f&c=2

games like spot the difference , tetris and jigsaw puzzles are also very good for training your brain to spot things
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello again
i have just downloaded the first nvr cd,to see how it goes with ds.
sorry to bother you again jaysdarlin but you mentioned 15 minute test for vocab building?which ones are those?
i have just given ds a 2 week sabbatical from 11+ and now its back to work from today!
i have more of a plan in mind now about how to go about revision with him, after reading through this brilliant site!
i just hope he hasn't forgotten everything :roll:
thanks again for everyone responses.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now