Proposed changes to Herts admissions process

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
WP

Proposed changes to Herts admissions process

Post by WP »

Found this in the Herts admission forum agenda for 17 June 2009 (item 6). The county will be doing exploratory modelling (using past applications) of 3 possible changes to the Herts admissions process, with a view to offering them for the consultation for 2011/2012 entry:
  1. Switching distance measurement from routes on a map to straight-line, to simplify the system and avoid disputes. (As most of the VA and foundation schools use the county measurement, this would affect them too.)
  2. Increasing the number of preferences parents may give on the CAF to 4, 5 or 6. (Long overdue, in my opinion.)
  3. For schools where the county is the admissions authority, splitting the sibling category in two, so that siblings far from the school would have lower priority than children close to the school. (This would not affect VA and foundation schools, but might be seen as a template later.)
edit: fixed the year.
watmum

Post by watmum »

Well, IMO they sound like 3 very solid and sensible measures. I would like to see all of them implemented.

I am pretty sure that Parmiter's used to measure in a straight line, and we were personally majorly disadvantaged when they switched to their alternative measurement system (experiencing problems with alleyways/tarmac,lights etc)

The sibling thing sounds so sensible, I must say that it does still grate with me, even though I am a sibling rule supporter, that kids come from Hendon, Edgware and even Dunstable! to get to Parmiter's, and this potential rule would make that situation a little fairer. I suppose tho' we could be looking at many years down the line for the VA/foundation schools

Thank you for posting another useful post WP. :D
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

I, too, think that these changes are all sensible changes.

I was reading back at the 13 March 2009 admissions forums minutes and notes and found that someone had mentioned a rule that I have always thought a little suspect, which is that 10% of places should be allocated to those children living nearest the school.

For the selectives this rule appears ahead of the sibling and assessment rules so I thought it unfair that siblings and those doing well in the asessments would qualify under the 10% nearest rule instead. In the meeting notes the adjucator mentioned this rule and stating that the 10% nearest rule should apply for those children not qualifying under other rules. I'm not sure if this has been put into place but I do think it should be.

Alison
Stig

Post by Stig »

AlisonR wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been put into place but I do think it should be.

Alison
I'm sure this rule is in now place for the grammar schools but maybe not the other selective ones. The adjudicator was critising the grammars admissions arrangements for 2008 and they were forced to make the change.
Lassie

Post by Lassie »

I agree with Watmum about the siblings, and if the VA/Foundation schools have to take this on board then DAO will have an Islington uprising.
tense

Post by tense »

Having one at Parmiter's and a younger one hoping to follow I always feel nervous about changes to the sibling rule :(

I live about 5 miles from the school (probably less as the crow flies!). My DD has many friends who live much further out than we do, but there's still an awful lot of densely populated areas between us & school...

Clearly I can't relax & forget about secondary transfer just yet!
sortie

Post by sortie »

Have been told that we will indeed have 6 choices/preferences of secondary school in Hertfordshire for admissions from 2011. Has anybody else been told this?
local school mummy
Josa

Post by Josa »

Does anyone know if this starts from the 2011 or 2012 entry?

Cheers

Josa
sortie

Post by sortie »

As far as I am aware it will be for admission in 2011 ie for all parents applying in October 2010. Would be interested if anybody else has more info. I have been told this by a local independant school head.
local school mummy
tense

Post by tense »

I hope that this is the case, but I doubt the County have made a firm decison on the issue yet.

WP posted the link to the Herts admission forum agenda for 17 June 2009. This said that the County would be doing exploratory modelling of 3 possible changes to the Herts admissions process, with a view to offering them for the consultation for 2011/2012 entry - including one to increase the number of preferences parents may give on the CAF to 4, 5 or 6.

This was only three months ago. I just doubt that in this time frame the modelling has taken place, that there has been a consultation exercise, that the results have been analysed & presented to councillors who have considered the options & come up with a collective decision.