Easier or harder next time around?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2outof3

Easier or harder next time around?

Post by 2outof3 »

Having been fortunate enough to get DD1 and 2 into grammar school of their choice, my attention turns to DS1. Now this may sound mad, as he is only 7, but already I find myself dropping vocabulary into the conversation that I would never usually use (and then explaining the meaning) just in case it might help his VR skills......

I like to think that I am relatively sane and both DDs were lucky to get in with quite low key coaching (a couple of terms - didn't want to do it myself). My conundrum now, however, is I know how competitive this process is (and in our area seems to be increasing) and local boys grammars are superselective. It may be that he is very well suited to a non-selective local boys school, but with older siblings being girls, I haven't had experience of any of those yet. However, in the meantime, its very difficult to switch off from the process completely for 2 1/2 years with a view to starting all over again in year 5. I wouldn't dream of doing any specific practice until then (I'm not quite that neurotic yet) but its hard to turn off the drip, drip approach.

Anyone else experienced this and what did you do?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

IMO, the drip, drip approach is much better. They retain more in a natural an non-pressurised way and it means no cramming nearer the time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with enhancing his vocabulary or playing fun games with a VR/NVR slant if he finds it fun.
Milla

Post by Milla »

More than understandable, 2outof3. In a way, much as I'm some sad addict here, I rather wish I DIDN'T know about this forum as it's sort of fed my fears, as well as alleviated them!!
First time round I (by which, ahem, I mean my son) did it all in a fairly low key way. I was vaguely stressed by a friend with older children who had had to go to appeal - she had had NO idea about the coaching etc so silently prevalent. So I was warned but not hyped up.
This time round I'm in a state of high frenzy - not only am I more aware of the system, but I know the school in question, as does my DS2, and it has become more real, no longer merely abstract.
Anyway. Enough already.
DS1 doesn't read much, too busy living, but I have always spoken to them with proper words, and good vocabulary, so presumably that did help. DS2 is, luckily, an avid reader, like his parents. DS2 has started coming up with his own tri-part compound words!
"Can-nab-is," he said yesterday
:shock:
"That will NOT be coming up," I said firmly.
So, what does he say next but, "but hero-in might!!!" (guess what they're currently doing in PCSHEHSHHE or whatever it's called!)
"No," I said again, "it will not."
Give me strength.
And, in tardy answer to your question, drip drip drip, yes!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

DS1 got into his chosen Grammar last year and it was a very stressy time.

I didn't know what I was doing with him (self tutoring) and when we started he hadn't even seen the schools because the open days were so close to the test. He was hard work.

DS2 sits it in November but he wants to go to the school, dislikes all other options, I know what I am doing and what is expected of him, and he doesn't have spelling issues like his brother although his vocab is poorer because DS1 read more.

So second time around for me is much easier and I am more confident of a good result.

That said DS3 is in y2, I have a feeling he is going to have the same spelling/ reading issues as DS1 but like DS1 he loves books so vocab will naturally be good.

Yes I will be glad of a break but I will be kind of kicking my heels a bit waiting to get going on it all again. I might have to take up tutoring to save him the torture of starting too early.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

It's so good to hear that other people have the same thoughts and worries!

At least I know I'm not alone in my insanity.......:D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

... along with all the good info I fear this site breeds insanity :)
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Are you speaking for yourself Tolstoy.....or other regulars :wink:
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I know I am not the only one :lol:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Tolstoy wrote:I know I am not the only one :lol:

:twisted: :twisted: " strange manic laughter in Essex" :twisted: :twisted:

:D
Milla

Post by Milla »

echoing very strangely and rather insanely in Gloucestershire.
The scene is set: the nervous are jangling, the paw stretches for more chocolate...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now