It shouldn't be this hard...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

It shouldn't be this hard...

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi,
Just a little thought that is rattling around in my head a lot today ( lots of space in there after all :roll: )
It is not really a new thought but one that has hit me afresh.
Last night DD2 was showing potential students around her grammar school.She is a yr 7 and we have another there.
I went to collect her. I spoke to a member of staff who said 900 families had looked around this first open evening.The rooms were full of enthusiastic looking year 6 girls eyes shining with enthusiasm and hope.
It was the hope bit that got me. I almost felt choked but then I am very soppy. :oops: I couldn't help but reflect that only 1 in 8 would get in ,perhaps less if numbers continue to rise.
It is all sooo unfair.Why can't there be more excellent schools? I know there is no easy answer and I know that there are some , ( before everyone gets upset with me.We have a comp which scored 100% A-C in Chelmsford), but there are simply not enough good schools.
As I said , its not a new thought but sometimes it just hits you afresh.
:(
Don't mean to be depressing everyone, but it isn't right that kids are travelling 2 hours to access decent schooling in some cases. All these shiny eyed boys and girls should have the right in all areas to a decent education.
Just had to get that off my chest - sorry :oops:
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

I know what you mean - I feel a bit sad when I see my son's former classmates and friends, some of whom are very bright and yet failed the 11 plus and are now attending the local comp. I do feel that its a matter of luck as to whether you get through or not - it shouldn't be like this really :?
zorro

Post by zorro »

I know how you feel CM - I felt exactly the same about the travelling when my little soldier traipsed through the door at 6.30 yesterday evening.
I last saw him leaving the house at 07.15 yesterday morning :cry: :cry:
He doesn't complain though and is doing really well so far this term so I suppose it can't be bothering him.It's just me that feels guilty :( .
And - :shock: :shock: :shock: he hasn't lost anything yet!!!! :lol:
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

I know exactly what you mean Chelmsford Mum. I think that's part of the reason why I'm already getting stressy about DS 1 who is only 7 (as per my earlier post - easier or harder next time around.

1300 girls were registered to sit exam at DD1 and 2's grammar last weekend. Even though many of them will only have sat it as a practice for other schools, it is still heartbreaking knowing that so many of them will be disappointed.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Rugbymum wrote:I know what you mean - I feel a bit sad when I see my son's former classmates and friends, some of whom are very bright and yet failed the 11 plus and are now attending the local comp. I do feel that its a matter of luck as to whether you get through or not - it shouldn't be like this really :?
I agree.The test is such a snapshot of what they are capable of.Those with good parental support will still succeed I know but what of the others who don't have this and live in areas where the schools are not so great.
My yr 7 Dd has so many friends coming in from the london boroughs.What a journey especially on winter nights. :cry:

Zorro I am sure that your DS will survive the travelling and it will be worth it but it just all seems so unfair.
As I said, know I am being a bit morose this morning, but they all looked so lovely , keen and sweet last night.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

2outof3 wrote:I know exactly what you mean Chelmsford Mum. I think that's part of the reason why I'm already getting stressy about DS 1 who is only 7 (as per my earlier post - easier or harder next time around.

1300 girls were registered to sit exam at DD1 and 2's grammar last weekend. Even though many of them will only have sat it as a practice for other schools, it is still heartbreaking knowing that so many of them will be disappointed.
I found it harder with the second so I don't envy you the third.I think I would be dropping the odd few compound words into conversation. :lol: How sad though that we feel that pressure looming.

We have one a couple of years behind your youngest who confidently points at the grammar and says " that's where I am going to big school... :? "
Oh dear :cry:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We have one bad school in our town, the one my dd was originally allocated to.

It was the only catchment school for where we live.

We have three other excellent schools in town which dd didn't have a hope in **** of getting in to.

We know how incredibly lucky we've been.

I just feel so desperately sorry for the youngsters who have/had no alternative and have to attend this school.

I wouldn't have bothered putting my dd in for the 11+ if we'd had a chance of her getting into a decent school. I didn't particularly want a grammar school education for her - just a good one and it was the only way we could ensure she got one.

I wish, oh how I wish, all schooling could be equal.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Chelmsford Mum,

My daughter also did a tour at the school last night. She said one of the mums spent the whole tour quizzing her on what percentages she was getting in her practice papers ( 2 years ago, she is year 8 ) in the run up to the exam and whether or not 75% for verbal reasoning would get her daughter in! Golly, do I feel for that Mum.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Most of the families my daughter took around were very nice but she did say the last one asked her what marks/ position etc she had got in the 11+ :shock:
A little bit cheeky to ask a child I feel :?
SSM

Post by SSM »

I'm being lazy, and haven't read all the posts above, but get the general drift.

Interestingly, in the news a couple of days ago, Mr Ball wants to send in a special group of investigators, or something like that, into Kent, as they have way more failing schools than any other LEA in the country. It just also happens that Kent also has the greatest number of GSs. It isn't the GS that are failing but the secondary moderns, as we do not have the privilage in this county of true comprehensives.

This is why, if anyone has been following the Kent forum, so many parents get upset about kids going to Kent GS from OoC.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now