West Kirby v's Wirral Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
3pink

West Kirby v's Wirral Grammar

Post by 3pink »

I know WGG comes in higher on the Times league table but DD saw WK and has her heart set on it, we missed the open evening for WGG
So has anybody any experience of seeing both and why did you choose one over the other ?
Many thanks
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi 3pink
Where do you live ? I would say that would have the biggest influence on your choice- I think both have a catchment area .
My DD is in year 11 at WK and she loves it,she catches the bus from Pensby and most of her friednds are from this side of the Wirral,Wirral Grammer tends to attract girls from Bromborough etc. I 'm sure you can attend either but for the social side of things it would be easier to pick the closer school.
If you are relying on a school bus than check out the services available also
Which school does her primary tend to feed into?
Hope that may help -any other questions I'll try and help
Pensby
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Hi there. Although neither school has a catchment area per se, what is true is that your priority for a place at the school is in part determined by how close you are to it. In other words (all else being equal) someone who lives 3 miles away will be a higher priority than someone who lives 5 miles away. This only comes into play if the school is full and can't accept all those who pass the 11+ but it is possible to get caught out like that.

Having said that in recent years Wirral GGS seems to have been fuller than West Kirby and as you should know Wirral Borough has more surplus places than it knows how (and has the wherewithall) to deal with.

I wouldn't worry about league tables. I would guess that the results of all 3 Wirral girls' grammar schools are not statistically different and schools have many many ways to manipulate results if they want to play that game!
3pink

Post by 3pink »

Having said that in recent years Wirral GGS seems to have been fuller than West Kirby and as you should know Wirral Borough has more surplus places than it knows how (and has the wherewithall) to deal with.

Well I didn't know that at all, so fingers crossed that will still be the case in 2011.

We can be in either area as we plan to move to either Heswall or West Kirby in the next 18 months so I guess I am looking for any experiences as to one being better than the other ?
My daughters aren't that sporty, very academic and arty
TIA
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Looking on the www West Kirby did not turn down anyone last year who passed the 11+ and 1st preference. Wirral GG set a cutoff at 6.68miles (which presumably eliminated a fair number of Cheshire interlopers!)
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

My DD (now in year eight) looked at Wirral and West Kirby two years ago and chose Wirral because it was smaller and she liked the girls she spoke to when we walked round - she said they were 'like her'. I had a slight preference for West Kirby, possibly because I went there myself but also because the facilities seemed particularly good.

I'm sure there's very little difference between the schools in the ratings. Both always seem to do exceptionally well. It's true that WGS has been oversubscribed for the last few years. We live nearly 7 miles away and were just inside the catchment area for that year, and it was smaller again last year.

If your daughter has her heart set on the school it's probably the best one for her. Mine was like that over Wirral and has loved every day since she started. Worth all the worry and preparation, even though I didn't think so at the time!
Pensby D

Post by Pensby D »

We had a look at both schools and found West Kirby had a much nicer feel to it. The girls seemed like they were very happy, all the staff were very down to earth and it felt a fun place to be. Wirral grammar was much different, the girls didn't seem as happy and there wasn't such a friendly fun atmosphere.
LELUCE

Post by LELUCE »

Hi, I noticed that WGG has got a catchment area of 6.68 radius for next years intake, not sure if this ino helps you with your choice.
motherinmess

Post by motherinmess »

Hi

I was told last year WKG had lots of places left as Wirral was once again over run!

Both school are very good as everyone said it's just a question where abouts you live.

MIM xx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now