Who is opening the results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bexmumof2

Who is opening the results

Post by bexmumof2 »

Now the tests are over and no more any of us can do about what has been done we can worry about the results coming.

I didn't consider initially the opening of the envelope but heard another mum up the school say that they were her daughters results and that she would be the first to see them.

What will you be doing?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Bexmumof2 -

Good question!! I preferred the open by parent, resealed in new envelope for DD to open "first" scenario (as per her request). I understood why she wanted to open it but felt that if the result was not good then damage limitation by me knowing first was required.

I called it the Blue Peter manoeuvre.

As it was the result was good but the letter incomprehensible ie "this is not the offer of a place but your daughter has been included in the group as suitable for selective education".... or something like that!!!!!! All DD expected to see was the words PASS or FAIL... so I was glad I peeped,
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I always open the letter - it's addressed to me after all. And, as Hermanmunster says, if it contains unwelcome news it would be good to have time to make sure you were fully composed before having to tell your child. Though last time around 3 brown envelopes came through the door and the first one I opened was welcoming DS to his new school!
virtualmomma

Post by virtualmomma »

I'm going to adopt the 'Blue Peter manoeuvre'.
~I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.~
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

3 years ago I too went for the "Blue Peter Manoeuvre" on the top seal of the envelope, but then noticed that the side seals were not actually stuck down, so entry was achieved with very little effort!
DD1 still thinks that she was the first in. I will never tell, so please keep quiet....................zzzzip noises heard across mouth..........
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

i'm undecided :?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

There was a thread last year about who opens The Letter (if I was IT literate I would provide a link), but then I expect there's one every year!

This particular thread suggested that, if you could see the reference no. through the envelope window (it appears just above the name and address), then that may tell you all you need to know. I've just looked at DS2's letter from 2 years ago and the reference includes an S in brackets. Presumably this stands for "selective". But then again, it might stand for something else! Just another option for those of you who want to let your DCs open the envelope but might still like to know before them!!
bexmumof2

Post by bexmumof2 »

After talking to my husband we have also decided to adopt the Blue Peter method.

And for the Kent results thankfully I can uncheck the email as mark as unread.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I would open myself just in case its not the result hoped for so can break it more gently to my child rather than him reading it in black and white.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Just as a warning, the Blue Peter Method backfired on me two years ago as I mentioned my DDs results to another parent and it seems that the news spread like wild fire and someone hugged and congratulated her before she opened the letter!

Thankfully she was so pleased she didn't care!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now