Heavy rucksacks

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sally40

Heavy rucksacks

Post by sally40 »

Just wondered if anyone has any advice i can pass on to my ds who insists on carrying all his books around all day and not using the locker he has got. I have tried to explain to try and be organised and put books not being used in there and to go back to it at lunchtime but his reasoning is that the lunch line is so long that he would not have time and also in a rush to get outside to play footie! He is not getting the bus at the moment but he will eventually and just dont know how he will manage as he is already complaining of his back hurting. Does this in anyones experience get better :?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

only in the sense that they grow taller and bigger so it doesn;t affect them so much....

:roll:
andyb

Post by andyb »

DS is the same - although in fairness he has been better this week. His journey to school involves a public bus followed by an uphill walk - one day he said he would need a lift because his bag was so heavy it hurt his legs walking up the hill - I refused and the next day it was much lighter! Our compromise is - he is "allowed" to have books in for homework plus the last lesson in the afternoon if he can't get back to his locker, although this is really not necessary as he gets a lift home so there is no rush for a bus (yet). He leaves his sports footwear in his locker so he only has to carry the clothing on PE/games days which doesn't weigh much. I think it is a case of getting organized and thinking ahead more than they are used to. I am assuming it will either get better or he will get stronger :wink: !
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Both my DSs keep all their books at home, and only take in what they need for the day. Lockers are mainly used for PE kit, because they don't have time (or the organisational skills :roll: ) to get the right books from their lockers at break or lunchtime.

Both of them are very good at making sure that they wear their rucksacks properly - both straps on, not slung over one shoulder - on the journey to school, so that helps a lot.

Sally-Anne
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Both my DSs keep all their books at home, and only take in what they need for the day
It's not fair...I want a sensible one!

mind you at the end of year 11 he had minimised his kit to the extent that on the morning of one of his GCSEs he casually asked ( as we were on our way to school) Don;t s'pose you;ve got a pen on you?

:roll:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

yoyo123 wrote:It's not fair...I want a sensible one!
They're not sensible - their mother is just a control freak! :D

There are barely any facilities at school for them to leave stuff there overnight, and the kids worked out how to break the combinations on the padlocks within about the first 5 days of term, so it's just safest to bring it all home each day.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

At least your DC have lockers.my DS don't and he's so terrified of forgetting anything that he takes everything every day :shock: :shock: despite my nagging :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now