Illness

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nicki6567

Illness

Post by Nicki6567 »

Do you know, I would have put money on it!

My DS is ill. He was off school yesterday and today and it's not looking hopeful for the rest of the week. He has a cold and horrible cough, and as he has asthmas its gone straight to his chest.

What do I do? Do I take him to the GP, knowing full well that they will just send us home with Calpol, but at least I've got it on record that he's ill? Or am I panicking unecessarily?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Nicki

Don't panic! The first test is still a week away, and he has plenty of time to get over this.

See how he is by Friday, and then again on Monday. If he isn't well, he must not take the test. Appeal panels really don't like "sick kiddy" stories, particularly short term illnesses such as coughs and colds.

If he has to sit the test separately on another day, please make sure that you know exactly when he will be taking it, and what arrangements the school will be making for the test room. Schools have been known to wheel children into the school office with no notice to sit the test, surrounded by ringing phones and staff wandering in and out chatting. :roll:

Sally-Anne
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Nicki - suggest you do what I did yesterday and phone your Admissions department so you are clear about the process just in case. My DS is doing Bexley tests today and tomorrow and I was sure he was coming down with a cold. I didn't want to wait until test morning and start panicking about what to do. I was sure I'd read somewhere that we would need a medical certificate and was wondering about the possibility of getting one for just a cold etc. The person I spoke to in Bexley Admissions was incredibly helpful. Said if it was a normal school day and I wouldn't send him in then I shouldn't send him in on test day. No need for a medical certificate, just a letter from the school confirming that he hadn't attended, which I should post to Admissions.

I'm sure a few years ago kids used to sit tests in the HT's office in a fairly ad hoc way as Sally-Anne describes. Now apparently, in Bexley at least, they have another formal test sitting at another venue, where all the "sickies" do their tests together.

I must stress however that this is in Bexley and each authority will have its own admissions process. However, I would urge you to ring your Admissions department and find out what's what - just so you know exactly what the deal is should you decide not to send your DS in. I know from experience that the worst case scenario is not if they're ill - then it's cut and dried, the worst case is when you're not sure if they're well enough or not. It's tempting to get it over with but if you've doubts I'd probably play it safe.

I hope he's feeling better soon.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi re medical certs

They can be done for anything - you usually have to pay, latest figure I have seen is about £14.00. Colds usually get described as "viral illness " or URTI.

Edit: from the point of view of the person doingt he cert it is better if the child is seen by the doc or PN as it a lot easier to write a cert saying " i have examined this child and they have ....." as opposed to " this child's mother said he had ... last week as was unwell"....
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Nicki

This is from the Bucks Head Teachers' Manual:
2. SICK CHILDREN
As the dates of the tests are published in advance to parents it should be assumed that any child in school on the day of a test is well enough to take part. Please discourage children who are evidently not well from taking the test. Parents often offer a child being ill on the day of a test in mitigation for their under performance and it can be avoided in many cases by parents and teachers recognising that a child is unwell and withdrawing them from the test on that occasion.

For any child absent on the day of a test please advise the parent, in advance, of the rescheduled test date and ensure the child sits the tests in the correct order.

However, if a child should become unwell DURING TESTING and is unable to complete the test it is not possible for that test to be re-sat at a later date. The lowest test result is disregarded. Please inform the Admissions & Transport Team, in writing, if this happens.
Note this as well:
The tests MUST be administered in the order above (Test B26 before B27) and on separate days.

A minimum of one clear day should be left between the tests.
If he is still unwell by the time of the second test, you (and the school) must inform Admissions, who will then arrange for him to take the test at a later date - almost certainly with the OoC Non-Partner school children at half-term. (It is just possible that they will agree to him being tested in his own school at a later date.)

S-A
Nicki6567

Post by Nicki6567 »

Still trying not to stress! Been to the GP - flu/chest infection and on anti biotics. Being the wicked mother that I am (!) I've cancelled his birthday trip tomorow to the SnoZone, but bought a shed load of Lego as compensation.
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

Think I'd probably cover all the bases by writing to the school pre-test to let them know he is ill, chest infection, on antibiotics, etc.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Nicki

Was he ill at the time of the practice tests. If so, you need it on record just in case his school is one of those that STILL :twisted: insist on using these tests to rank the children.

This week, one of the schools admitted that they do use them [but only a little bit!!!]

If there are any signs that he has not fully recovered on Thursday, do not send him in.

Patricia
patricia

Post by patricia »

Sally-Anne wrote: If he is still unwell by the time of the second test, you (and the school) must inform Admissions, who will then arrange for him to take the test at a later date - almost certainly with the OoC Non-Partner school children at half-term. (It is just possible that they will agree to him being tested in his own school at a later date.)

S-A
Just noticed this, unless they have changed the rules:

If the child is absent for test 1, they will take it with the children taking test 2. Test 2 will be taken at a later prearranged date in a quiet area of the school, usually with a Teachers assistant invigilating.

If they are away for the second test only: prearranged day, quiet area, T.A. invigilating.

If they are absent for both tests, they will be sat at school [pre arranged] on 2 different days, again in a quiet area with a T.A

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The willingness of schools to do this varies. I know of one local school that refuses to administer tests much beyond the standard dates because they "don't want the responsibility of returning the test papers separately to Bucks CC". :roll:

Personally I just think they don't want the trouble of administering them.

I have also heard of schools that don't have the space to be able to set aside a quiet room just for one child, other than the Head's office. That can be very intimidating for a child, especially if the Head is the invigilator as well.

S-A
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now