Whitgift - Questions on Scholarships

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Alphamum

Whitgift - Questions on Scholarships

Post by Alphamum »

Hi, I am wondering if anyone, with experience/knowledge, can tell me a bit more about how to obtain scholarships from Whitgift/Trinity? I heard about people being offered 100% scholarship but some friends told me its not likely, I got a feeling its part-music/part-academic so it totals to 100% fund. How "academic" the child has to be or how good must he be in his music? Does anyone have any ideas or experience? Your reply is much appreciated. Many thanks!
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

I believe the maximum scholarship is 50% but you can also receive a bursary on top which can take it to around 100%.

Academic scholarships are based on the entrance exam and everyone is considered for one. For a music scholarship you have to fill in a separate application form and attend an assessment. In recent years the children I know who have received music scholarships have been around Grade 5 (for 11+ entry) on their main instrument - they do expect at least two instruments.

Hope this helps! Did you go to the Open Morning yesterday? There was lots of info on scholarships and bursaries available.
Alphamum

Post by Alphamum »

Hi LazyDaisy, thanks for your reply. Yes, we went to Whitgift Open Morning and picked up some leaflets/info. However I thought it would be good to hear from parents who have actually done it or been there themselves (with regards to scholarships). Thanks again for letting me know about Grade 5 music level, i was naively thinking Grade 3 is sufficient as the Whitgift specifies so. However it did say it is Ok with just one instrument but will be asked to play 2 pieces during assessment rather than 1 piece....
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Hi Alphamum,
I think the Whitgift info is quite misleading in that respect. I know it says Grade 3 but the two boys I know who got 11+ music scholarships last year were both Grade 5 on their main instrument and around Grade 3 on their second. So if that is what the competition is like........................

I suppose if a child showed amazing ability but just hadn't done the music exams then I'm sure they would give that some consideration.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now