The run up to test day!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MedwayMumof1

The run up to test day!

Post by MedwayMumof1 »

Thought things were a bit quiet in Medway so here's one to kick things off!

As it is now 20 days (and counting) until the Medway test, I wanted to ascertain the level of preparation being undertaken.

My daughter is currently doing 1 timed practice paper per week and we are also running over things that she should know in a quick fire manner. I am keen not to over-do things at this stage and don't want to worry her if she gets things wrong. She is achieving circa 80% in all 3 areas in practice papers but I am unsure how that equates to raw scores / standardised scores.

Has anybody any info on what scores historically in Medway have been achieved to get maximum marks? I know that the pass mark has increased year on year and this worries me - as does everything 11+ related at the moment!!

Any advice appreciated - especially from those on here who have been through all this before!

Thanks
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I would definitely say that by now your child should have 'learnt' everything they need to know to do this test, and its just a case of keeping things fresh in their mind. We are just doing revision at home now. Probably one timed test a week in math and verbal.
Its difficult to say what scores are needed to pass - I've known children to regularly be scoring over 85% in papers and not pass, I've also known children who are regularly scoring a lot less to get thru. We can't say how they are going to perform on the day but if they are prepared then they are going in well equipped.
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

We're trying to keep it low key. DS took the Kent test and has been worrying about it since, so trying not to go on about the Medway test too much....although I did find myself saying: "There's everything to play for in the second half." We might do some maths practise but on the whole I think he knows all he should and now it's just a matter of doing his best on the day. Also hard to practise the English as I'm never sure what the examiners will consider is a good story!
paulap

Post by paulap »

We're not doing too much other than what their tutor sets them. After seriously stressing for the last month or so, I am starting to form the opinion now that if they are capable of passing then that's just what they'll do. I don't want to put any added pressure on them and so have decided to "back off" and see what happens. After all they're only 10 and if I'm feeling the pressure at 44, who knows what they feel.
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

I just want it over with now. Anyone else feel like this? Ds has had enough of it, I hope he will just hang on in there until Saturday.
paulap

Post by paulap »

My twins had their last lesson with their tutor tonight so nail-biting stuff now as it gets nearer to Saturday.

They've had some practice papers with her and at school and they've been a real "mixed bag" so hopefully things will gel together on Saturday.

Good luck to everybody.
MedwayMumof1

Post by MedwayMumof1 »

My daughter had her final tutor session last night and that is the end of practice papers for us, phew! We are just going to a tiny bit of revision on key pointers for literacy tomorrow and then call it a day.

I have spent far too many hours stressing about it all, not to mention going without sleep. I will just be glad when it is all over! Roll on results day (I think!!) when hopefully I will have something new to consume all of my spare time............oh yes, I know what that will be already, worrying about what school is allocated!!!!!!

Good luck to all,

Medwaymumof1
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Just out of interest, have any of you whose DC also took the Kent Test done any tutoring or prep work since. My DD had simply had enough, and has probably even forgotten she is entered for the test.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

At last....test day tomorrow! I am going to spend the hours my son is there clearing out my cupboards of papers, worksheets, used books etc.... Bring. It. On.

Good luck again everyone!!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

I will probably be wandering around Rochester castle and Wickes.

The papers are already destined for either the Heart of Kent Hospice shop and Ebay.