Preference Forms - How Risky?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
srk13

Preference Forms - How Risky?

Post by srk13 »

We are filling our preference forms and have put down 4 selective schools in the first four place and a local comprehensive in the fifth. The local school is highly oversubscribed, but we live quite close to it. Is it advisable to leave the sixth choice blank? What will happen if my DC does not clear any of the selective? Does the chance to get into the local comprehensive go away as we've listed it in the fifth position?

Please advise asap.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Is it advisable to leave the sixth choice blank?
Ask yourself this: if you get none of your 5 preferences, are you content to let the LA choose a school for you (probably the nearest one with places), or is there another school (perhaps further away but better) you'd like to be considered for?
What will happen if my DC does not clear any of the selective? Does the chance to get into the local comprehensive go away as we've listed it in the fifth position?
It stands the same chance as the other schools you list. The only significance of being 5th is that the highest preference school that can offer you a place is the one that will actually be allocated.
Etienne
fm

Post by fm »

In our area (and as far as I know everywhere else), the local authorities go down the list until they find the first one for which your child is eligible. Thus, if she doesn't make the selective schools, then the comprehensive, in effect, becomes your first choice and you will be given it, provided she meets the distance criteria. So no difference where it is on form.

If you want reassurance, log on to your local education authority and you are bound to find the document stating this.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

Do you get the results in your area before the CAF has to go in? If you do then wait until you get these before deciding.

The strategy re the form depends on the area you are in and whether the 11 plus is one that guarantees all those who pass a place or whether they have to not only pass but have high scores.

If you have to put the selectives down before the CAF is due in and your child does not get a high enough score for the selectives then I understand that your formn will be treated as though the local non sleective school you have listed is your first choice, the school will not be aware that you have put it lower down.

Not putting a 6th can be risky as you could end up anywhere......

Which LEA are you in?

Herman
Milla

Post by Milla »

In our region there is no jeopardy in the ordering, apart from you will get the first one on your list for which you are eligible. Meaning if you don't get the sufficient pass mark for your grammars, your next choice down becomes your new first choice. If you don't get the grammars at all, the comp becomes the first choice. They will then deal with oversubscription by their own criteria - in our case, children in care, distance. I don't think we have a sibling priority but we do have to undertake a fair banding test, so check that your school doesn't have anything like that attached to it, too.

The placings are administered by the LEA and the schools don't get to know where they were ranked by you.

If you have a 6th choice, I would fill it. There must be a school in the region you don't want, so fill slot 6 with the least unwanted of what's left.
Having said this, your region may operate differently - ours only changed a couple of years ago, prior to that you didn't dare risk your comp so had to put it above your grammar and then go through the waiting list for the grammar - so I'd post this in the relevant regional forum from the ones listed below if I were you.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

phew - I'm a bit slow on the typing at the mo - but looks like we are all in agreement!
Milla

Post by Milla »

same here! when I posted I was the only one! suddenly I'm appearing very echoey and slow on the uptake!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

The only scenario in which I'd consider not filling in all options is if the last choice is definitely undersubscribed and you would be happy for your child to go there if not allocated to one of the higher choices.

Here's what we put:
1) Local girls grammar (closest school to us)
2) Local 'sink' comp (closest non-grammar, normally undersubscribed)
3) Bit further away comp (normally undersubscribed)
4) Left blank

So even then we'd put a fall-back to our fall-back. Although option 2 is thought of by many as a sink school, we thought it was rather good and would suit DD if option 1 wasn't picked (as did DD).

So my advice (like everyone else here) - apart from unusual circumstances, use all your options.
Capers
srk13

Post by srk13 »

Thanks all for a quick response. I've decided to leave the last one blank.

We're in Birmingham LEA.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I take it then that you're 100% confident of getting into your local comp if necessary, based on distance from school?

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now