Chicken Pox

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Devon Hopeful

Chicken Pox

Post by Devon Hopeful »

Hello

My daughter is due to sit the first of two 11+ exams this Saturday in Plymouth (VR followed by maths next Saturday). She has never caught chicken pox until now!!

The spots started coming out last weekend and she still has several though they are crusted over and she seems better in herself.

I have no previous experience of chicken pox and am really uncertain whether to let her go ahead and take the exam or pull her out.

Anyone else had this or similar problem?

Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

Reckon most kids with chickenpox feel better within a week of the spots appearing - can be different if they get loads of spots.
some kids sail through the illness and are only grumpy and off colour before the spots appear - reckone how they feel during the illness depends on how much of a temperature they get.

If she needed a delay in taking the exam ie to a retake date then having chickenpox in the week before would be quite reasonable and you could get a note to that effect - however I would leave it to nearer the time to decide how she is because she may well be fine - if it is one paper then that does not take too long unlike some of the mammoth sessions some schools have.
Kent Mum

Illness during 11+ test

Post by Kent Mum »

I posted a similar question on the Kent website last night, as my daughter was ill during her actual test. Glad to know there are others out there too!! She had a virus for a few days before the test and thankfully I took her to the doctors the night before 1st day of tests. That day passed uneventfully, but on the second day she deteriorated during the morning, and lost 10mins of test time near the end. Thankfully, she was nearly finished when it happened. I took her back to the same doctor, who has written a letter to send in, and the teacher also wrote in, explaining what had happened.
I don't know what will happen yet, and I'm hopeful somebody with previous experience of this may post. My daughter didn't seem ill enough in the morning not to take the test. Certainly make sure your daughter sees the doctor as close to test as possible, because they seem happy to write a note if she is unwell, having already seen her.
Good luck!
Kent Mum

Illness during 11+ test

Post by Kent Mum »

I posted a similar question on the Kent website last night, as my daughter was ill during her actual test. Glad to know there are others out there too!! She had a virus for a few days before the test and thankfully I took her to the doctors the night before 1st day of tests. That day passed uneventfully, but on the second day she deteriorated during the morning, and lost 10mins of test time near the end. Thankfully, she was nearly finished when it happened. I took her back to the same doctor, who has written a letter to send in, and the teacher also wrote in, explaining what had happened.
I don't know what will happen yet, and I'm hopeful somebody with previous experience of this may post. My daughter didn't seem ill enough in the morning not to take the test. Certainly make sure your daughter sees the doctor as close to test as possible, because they seem happy to write a note if she is unwell, having already seen her.
Good luck!
Kent Mum

Illness during 11+ test

Post by Kent Mum »

Good luck!
guest65

Post by guest65 »

I do remember that when my children had chicken pox, although they were over it enough to go back to school, it was almost two weeks later that the tiredness and grumpiness finally went.
It's a hard one to judge.
Devon Hopeful

Post by Devon Hopeful »

Thank you to all of you who replied.

Kent Mum - hopefully your daughter had done most of the test by the time she started to feel ill, sending good wishes to you all that she has done enough to pass.

My daughter is feeling better in herself, a bit lethargic probably from so much inactivity during the last week. My 4 year old by contrast has a surplus of energy!!

We have decided to go ahead tomorrow and sit the exam.

Good Luck to everyone going through this horrible process. This site has been invaluable over the last few months and a big thank you to the administrators.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now