Medicine Qualifications

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jemima

Medicine Qualifications

Post by jemima »

My son is being encouraged to drop one of his 5 A levels (the school only support 4.) He wants to do medicine and is applying to Oxford, Soutahmpton, Imperial and somehwere else (can't remember). Does he have to have three sciences?
He currently does Chemistry, Bilology, Maths English and Music. His dilemma is taht he is predicted A* for English and Music and A's for others. He got full marks at AS for English and music so doesn't really want to drop one. He would prefer to drop maths but doesn't want to look too unscientific.
The websites for his colleges tend to say definitely Chemistry but then either biology, physics or maths in fact they prefer laboratory science over maths. He only found out yesterday that he can't do all 5 as the school hadn't realised he'd been doing them!!!!
He's been accepted for a choral scholarship at Oxford if he gets in and so again doesn't want to seem too musical so that medics reject him.
Any advice?
solimum

Post by solimum »

My personal prejudice would be to drop the English - he will get lots of essay-writing in the Music A level but it also involves the practical performance/ composition/listening skills to provide a contrast. He needn't worry about being a musical medic - at a student opera performance I went to in Oxford last year several of the soloists were medics or mathematicians - just think Dr Jonathan Miller for an example of the frequent crossover.

It is rather a shame that the school can't support all 5 - I guess he could work on one in his own time (possibly Maths, but only if he finds it relatively straightforward). I don't think Oxford are planning to make offers based on A* yet

Can he keep them all going at least until he's been through the interview process at Oxford? In general I thought Maths & Chemistry were the two essentials for medicine, though if the websites say differently that's fair enough. Maths is usually less time-consuming however than some of the others

Sorry this is rather an unconnected stream of random thoughts - can he phone admissions departments directly, or enquire at open days?
KenR

Post by KenR »

DD is applying for Medicine this year and my nephew has just started at Hull York Medical School so I am aware of the issues.

DD has just dropped Further Maths and is continuing with Pure Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Religous Studies.

My nephew did Chemistry, Biology and Music.

You definitely need Chemistry and Biology. I think Maths is helpful as well.

I have to say that my nephew's view (in hindsight) is that Music A level was a big, big mistake. He was predicted to easily get an A in Music but only got a B. The problem is the coursework content and the odd way that some of this material is marked. It nearly cost him his place at medical School. If you look at the grades for A Level Music in many of the top schools you will often find that they are very disappointing - even if the children are exceptional musicians.

My DD passed her Grade 8 flute with Distinction in year 11 but decided not to do Music A level.

Hence I would recommend dropping Music.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I don't claim to know a lot about this but my immediate thought was to drop Music and do it outside school. You don't need music A'level to be awarded a choral scholarship - you need to have an exceptional music education but that can be done outside of school. If you don't drop it then I would drop Maths but only if he was to do it outside of school. Maths will be the easiest one to distance learn if he is good at the subject.

DS has to choose if he really wants to do Medicine and if he does then he should drop the Music.
jemima

Post by jemima »

He texted and said he'd phoned the college where he's been offered the scholarship and they said it would be O.K. to drop maths - I'm still worried though and have advised him not to rush into anything.
Thanks for all advice as it's making me try to stop him rushing into anything.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

As he doesn't have a place yet I would be very wary to do this. When I applied for Zoology at Cambridge they said they wanted Chem, Bio, Math and Physics and that wasn't even for medicine! He will be going up against candidates who probably will have all four sciences and another A'level.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Need chemistry and another science or maths and then just about anything else. No need for biology - they learn that later. Not sure why they need chemistry but they do :wink:

Maths most useful and music to keep you sane!!!

Medicine needs people with all round interests and skills.
solimum

Post by solimum »

I have to say that my nephew's view (in hindsight) is that Music A level was a big, big mistake. He was predicted to easily get an A in Music but only got a B. The problem is the coursework content and the odd way that some of this material is marked. It nearly cost him his place at medical School. If you look at the grades for A Level Music in many of the top schools you will often find that they are very disappointing - even if the children are exceptional musicians.
I've heard this elsewhere KenR - but it may depend a lot on the board - my son was part of a group of mostly Grade 8 + musicians at a KE grammar who did all do well at A level, including the performance, but they were with OCR who have a real-life visiting examiner. He really enjoyed it , especially as a break from the Maths/ Further Maths and made some very good friends in the group.

Presumably the OPs son has already been offered the potential choral scholarship on the basis of his current musical skills - the point now is to ensure the best chance of getting an offer (which will depend on his personal statement/ GCSEs, BMAT, interview, relevant work experience etc etc), and if the offer is forthcoming concentrate on the best subjects for the vital AAA ...
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

If the music scholarship is at one of the choral foundations you can relax a little. The choral foundations need their singers, and while they might not admit it (actually I think they probably do) provided your son is capable he will not need to meet as high a standard as other applicants. As long as he has the required subjects for medicine he'd be best off taking the A-Levels he'll get the best results in.
Loopy
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now