Publishers recommended for Kent and Bromley grammar schools.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ang's mom

Publishers recommended for Kent and Bromley grammar schools.

Post by Ang's mom »

Hi all,

The site is excellent and a wonderful mine of information.

As I am new to whole eleven plus and would like to train my DD for the same, I would be grateful if I can get answers to some queries. What are the papers/books/publications followed in Kent and Bromely (Newstead) ? Lots of materials are available on the net and apart from the Nelson and Bond papers, I am not very familiar with the rest.

I spoke to a mother (who has been through this whole process) from a different county and she advised me against buying all the books until I have an idea of what's recommended in my county. She suggested I speak to a local tutor. I don't know any tutor, I hope someone here would be able to give me an aswer to this.

Thanks in advance.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The tests in Kent are set by NfER , ( now called GL I think) you can buy them in book shops or from this site.

Tests are multiple choice. There is a maths paper , nvr and vr. Also a written piece, usually a story.

There is a good free method and techniques download for verbal reasoning.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/th ... hnique.pdf

Kent usually only covers the first 15 types of question. Teh Susan Daughtrey test packs are good although they do include 6 types of question which asre not usually in the Kent Test.

As for non verbal reasoning there are some good books by AE Tuition, which take you through step by step. I quite like teh Bond " How to do" NVR although it does include some types of question ( eg nets of cubes) which are not in the Kent test.

Also try and get them up to speed on tables and simple arithmetic, the alphabet (forwards and backwards!) and vocabulary.

The test in Bromley depends on which school you are appplying for

Newstead school for girls is VR and NVR

St Olaves and St Saviours
Maths, English and Verbal reasoning, 1 hour each

I think they may be multiple choice but am not positive, maybe someone from Bromley can help?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

For 2010 entry there is no VR at St Olaves. There is a Maths test ( not multiple choice) and and an English which involves a comprehension ( multiple choice) and an essay.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Thanks Twinkle!!
That's very helpful. :D

Up to date information is always welcome, it's like trying to paint the Forth Bridge!

Are St Olaves and St Saviours separate schools? or is it one with 2 saints?!
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I think its lost one of its saints!! Not quite sure when tho'. I'm sure its buried in the prospectus somewhere....
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:lol:

Still wandering round trying to find out what subjects to study?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Maybe got scared off by all the maths......
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Thanks yoyo and everybody else.. I didn't expect such quick replies :)

Yoyo, thanks once again. I will have to look through the link that you have given in relation to Kent , before I come back with any more questions relating to that.

I am rather worried abt the Newstead format. They have increased the catchment area to 9 miles from this year onwards and this makes the competition all the more tougher.
Some information is given on this site relating to the suitable study material for Newstead but they were last updated in 2006-07.
Wonder if it's still valid..
Edited to add :- I am aware, it's VR and NVR for Newstead . I was just wondering about the format and the Question Types involved. Thanks.

Will have to drop in at the Bexley forum too.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Could you maybe e-mail either Bromley LEA or the school and ask what the format of the test is and who sets the papers?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Maybe Newstead have a website with the admissions info on it?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now