Ethics A Level

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hokmum

Ethics A Level

Post by hokmum »

My DS who will be going to sixth form next year, has come home from school today and said that his RE teacher thinks it will be worth his while to do Ethics A Level. I've never heard of this subject , has anyone else?

His teacher suggested to my DS that it is a well respected A level as far as the better universities are concerned (well he would wouldn't he :) ). I have every intention of talking to his teacher about it at the upcoming sixth form meeting but before I meet him, I'm trying to do a bit of research and collect some opinions and all my friends seem to be as much in the dark about it as me.

Thanks
Hokmum
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My son did Philosophy & Ethics A Level - he got 5 offers from his UCAS application, so I don't think it is a soft option. I think it is a good A Level, a lot of essays to write, and opinions to be given. I guess whether he chooses it for A Level depends on what he wants to do when he leaves school.

LFH

PS I'm not sure of Ethics on its own though, I've not heard of that.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my son is doing Philosophy and ethics, really enjoying it
hokmum

Post by hokmum »

Thank you for you speedy replies. Apparently it is philosophy and ethics which will go some way to explain why I couldn't find 'Ethics A level' anywhere on the internet!

LFH -He wants to do History at uni and then he is absolutely adamant that he will apply to Sandhurst, but that of course is a whole different matter.

Thanks again
Hokmum
Looking for help

Maybe Philosophy & Ethics will do him good if applying to Sandhurst :lol:

He is obviously interested in essay based subjects, I think combined with History this will be good. He might also want to do add a little maths or science subject to give him a broader appeal for the uni application process.

Good luck with whatever he decides.

LFH

Ps it does seem to make them a bit more argumentative, nothing is ever right or wrong anymore (I think they have to debate alot in this subject 8) )
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I did it as part of my Theology degree and yep it did cause a lot of arguement. Even the shy-est of us found a voice :lol:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Ps it does seem to make them a bit more argumentative, nothing is ever right or wrong anymore (I think they have to debate alot in this subject 8) )
To quote Master Yoyo "perfect! 2 years arguing" combined with Psychology " Finding out how they think so I can win the arguments"
Looking for help

:lol: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now