St Olaves' Open Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Twinkle

St Olaves' Open Day

Post by Twinkle »

Hi

Is anyone going to the St Olave's open Day tomorrow? Does anyone know where the best place will be to park as I imagine it will be very busy and the school is in a narrow residential road?

Thanks
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

In case anyone wants to know for next year - there was loads of parking spaces available on the school fields, so no problems whatsoever.

Did anyone else go along on Saturday? How do people think it compares with, say, Judd?
Irene+

Post by Irene+ »

Twinkle wrote:
Did anyone else go along on Saturday? How do people think it compares with, say, Judd?
We didn't go as DS had Slough Grammar test.
Could you please share your impressions?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

School has great grounds and nice architecture. Highly academic and focused - particularly maths. Some children do OU degree modules in the 6th form! Whilst the Ht talked about the many extracurricular activities it was clear that academics were key at the school. Mentoring ( both throughout the school and before Uni entrance) and pastoral care were stressed.
Irene+

Post by Irene+ »

Twinkle wrote:School has great grounds and nice architecture. Highly academic and focused - particularly maths. Some children do OU degree modules in the 6th form! Whilst the Ht talked about the many extracurricular activities it was clear that academics were key at the school. Mentoring ( both throughout the school and before Uni entrance) and pastoral care were stressed.
Most GS seem to be maths focused. What about humanities? :?

Thanks Twinkle!
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

They certainly do humanities but it is clearly a school that is VERY focused on maths ( much more so in my opinion than other GS we have visited). Thats just my impression tho'. As far as languages are concerned - French, German, Spanish and Latin.
Irene+

Post by Irene+ »

Twinkle wrote:They certainly do humanities but it is clearly a school that is VERY focused on maths ( much more so in my opinion than other GS we have visited). Thats just my impression tho'. As far as languages are concerned - French, German, Spanish and Latin.
"VERY focused" - I see...

Do they require any supportive references as C of E school?

What other GS did you visit? What are your thoughts? It's so quite here...
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

No - no supplementary info required. There are no denominational criteria.

We saw Judd, Skinners and TWGSB last year. Will be doing the rounds again this year.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Twinkle wrote:We saw Judd, Skinners and TWGSB last year. Will be doing the rounds again this year.
Hi Twinkle

It would be really useful to have your objective and subjective thoughts as to the strengths and weaknesses of all 4 of the boys grammars - St Olaves, Judd, Skinners and TWGSB.

I.e., which you see as best under the different types of criteria e.g. results, attitude, pastoral care, after school activities, first impressions, the pupils you met, headmaster, other teachers, buildings & facilties etc. etc..

Plus your impressions as to the typical type of boy that attends, and the type of boy each GS would suit.

Many thanks, we all appreciate it :D
Villagedad
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

That sounds like an exam question Village Dad :lol:

I will have a think and see whether I can post anything useful/sensible - clearly I have only had my own DS in mind when going round and other people ( particularly those with children at the GS you mention) will have other views.