Psychometric testing

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Clare

Psychometric testing

Post by Clare »

Our School is offering this.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Is it of any value?
zee

Post by zee »

Our school recently offered Morrisbey testing to year 11. Is that the one you're being offered too?

We read the letter and Googled it and concluded it wouldn't be much use in DS1's case, because he's very sure of what he wants to do and shows every sign of being able to acheive it.

For those in a quandary about what A levels, degree and career to aim for, I guess it may be useful. There is lots of info on the web, including example questions and reports, so have a look as see if that helps you decide.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DS had Morrisbey in year 10 - was free at his GS.

Quite prolonged testing but very interesting outcomes - some just confirmed his interests while some other interesting options that hadn't been thought of appeared.

Not sure how much it normally would cost?
fm

Post by fm »

My OH uses these at work. They are quite surprisingly accurate in their analysis of personality and whether someone is suited for a job.

I would say they would be useful although I am sure my OH said they weren't so effective with younger people.
zee

Post by zee »

hermanmunster wrote:DS had Morrisbey in year 10 - was free at his GS.
It would have been ~£70 at DS1's GS, plus most of a Saturday morning (two more reasons why we didn't bother). However, we may yet do it for DS2 as I think he'll be less sure of what to do.
another mother

Post by another mother »

Our elder DD (year 11) did the Morrisby test this summer. And came out with the career options that exactly mirror ours! As did the majority of her friends.
Very few girls felt they learnt anything new and although they were healthily sceptical about its efficacy, DH and I feel that it was cutting out options far too young, rather than illuminating the range of options open. I don't think we'll bother for the younger DD - don't want yet more writers in the family!! And the test takes no account of which professions - like journalism- are floundering and are increasingly unrealistic ambitions.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes DSs partly reflected the hereditary medical genes, but also came up with a couple of things that no one had thought of but everyone who saw realised that it could be the right thing. DS not so sure - might mean living in some wild and woolly places.
Fatandfifty

Post by Fatandfifty »

Was used at my DC's grammar school and one child's career option was a bingo caller - well I dined out on that thought all evening!!
Clare

Post by Clare »

Thanks for all the replies.

F&F are you serious?!!

I am just wondering if we will find out what we already know if you see what I mean!

Does anyone know if there are questions such as do you enjoy Science, Art etc...