Boys or co-ed schools in North London

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NorthLondonMum

Boys or co-ed schools in North London

Post by NorthLondonMum »

I've been to look at our local comp this week and I really don't want to send my son there. I'm willing to go independent but our local schools seem very selective. Can anyone suggest independent schools within reach of N10 that are of the "less selective" variety. I've considered Mill Hill but I'm not keen on Saturday school. Just wondering if there are any I'm overlooking really.

Thanks in advance.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If you go onto the site below it brings up a map with schools in your area when you stick your postcode in.

http://www.isc.co.uk/SchoolSearch_Postc ... Search.htm
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Thanks TIPSY,

I've just had a quick look but not turned up anything suitable as yet. Will have another search later.

Aldenham and Forest seem less demanding but they just don't seem practical to get to.

Regards

NLM
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

These are only ISC schools and schools not affiliated to them will not appear on the map so you may have to stick your postcode into yell.com
zorro

Post by zorro »

where in North London are you?My son goes to Aldenham by school coach and there are lots of different coach routes.
You can pm me if you wish.
delta

Post by delta »

What about Highgate? Not as selective as some and co-ed... There's also North Bridge House.
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

North Bridge House is a school I've never considered so I will look into that.

As for Highgate, well it might not be as competative as HABS say, but I'm still expecting 400-500 kids to apply for 40 places so I'm a bit worried about that one!

Thanks all for you comments and suggestions at this stressful time.
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

Hello NorthLondonMum,

I agree that Highgate is now very competitive, much more so since it went co-ed. I would say that if your DS has a chance of getting in there, he probably has a chance of getting into UCS, City Boys etc etc.

I think that, unfortunately, the choices in North London are very limited for boys once you leave that bracket. The only other indie I can think of is King Alfred - but it is in Golders Green, so not great for N10. I don't know anything about it personally except that it is not particularly academic and I believe that it has a much earlier application and offer deadline than the other schools. Much further in, there is Portland Place in W1. Not academic, but I know from one recent personal example among my friends that it has very good pastoral care.

You might want to download some exam papers from the schools' websites - that'll give you some idea of the standard they are aiming at. I don't know whether all boys' or co-ed schools have them on the website but, for that purpose, you could also look at the girls' schools websites - the exams won't be very different.

Good luck!
Enfieldmum

Post by Enfieldmum »

Saturday school is really fine. Most of the independent's have sport on a Saturday so even if there are no lessons you still have to take them in if they are playing for a team! Advantage of Saturday school is the week is more spread out with a slighltly less frenetic feeling that you get with day schools. Also all the half terms and holidays begin on a Friday so the actual number of Saturday's they attend school is not that bad. MHS also starts a bit later on a Saturday morning so parents don't have to get up too early to take them in. The school are also quite good about allowing them the odd Saturday off if there is something major they want to attend.
MrP

A great school but well hidden

Post by MrP »

What about St John's Senior School in Enfield ?

Its a family run school and has brilliant results.

Can anyone add to this?
MrP
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now