The minimum tutoring required for Tiffin Girls is.....???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Doblinski

The minimum tutoring required for Tiffin Girls is.....???

Post by Doblinski »

Hypothetically - If I was an extremely lazy parent with a bright child, how much tutoring would DD have to do to stand a chance of getting into Tiffin Girls - what's the mimimum one can get away with? If DD did a years worth of tutoring once a week, is that enough to get her in do you think? I suppose some very bright girls do just sit the exam with no tutoring and get in, or is that almost no-one?

Thanks for your thoughts. Dobbers :wink:
Thea

Post by Thea »

Practise papers using the 'types' used @ Tiffin - Patricia in the Bucks section has a very good understanding of what tpes are used where.
Not necessary to tutor, but famialarisation, |(and some speed trials :D) is essential.
Best Regards,
Thea
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Have checked the section by Patricia but can't see anything relating to useful NVR papers suggestions for Tiffin Girls (but there is lots of good stuff for VR) . Have posted here and on that section but not heard from anyone - please is there anyone out there on this fantastic forum whose daughter is at Tiffin Girls, or who is tutoring for it, who can give some direction re NVR papers ? Many thanks
showme

Post by showme »

I sat the Tiffin Girls test aeons ago with absolutely no preparation at all and got in ... preferred another school though so didn't go

my mum was very firmly of the opinion that if I couldn't do it without tutoring then it wasn't the right school for me
Isa

Post by Isa »

I'd also class myself as fairly laid back with a child I think is pretty bright. We've followed the DIY method and started in a very low key way with some familiarisation in about May. We do a couple of test papers each week and maybe a quick mini test as well. So I reckon in total we do about 2 hours a week and she's scoring around 95% which I hope is reasonable. (Though maybe everyone else is practising for 5 hours a week and getting 98%, in which case I'll feel a bit stupid in a few months!)
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Hi Isa - we too are keen on Tiffin Girls - do you mind me asking which papers you are using and finding useful ?
Many thanks
SunlampVexesEel

Re: The minimum tutoring required for Tiffin Girls is.....??

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Doblinski wrote:If DD did a years worth of tutoring once a week, is that enough to get her in do you think?
Yes. If she were smart to start with; that would be more than enough if you get a good tutor!

What you are trying to achieve is familarisation with all the question types; once you have done that.... it's over to DD.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
SunlampVexesEel

showme wrote:I sat the Tiffin Girls test aeons ago with absolutely no preparation at all and got in
Anecdotal evidence has it that its harder to get in now than it was in the dim and distant pass. We know smart DDs that have not got in... it's very competative currently.
Animis opibusque parati
Clarkey

Post by Clarkey »

Hi guys. I am new to the forum. Hope everyone is well.

I am also interested in Tiffin Girls and am also looking into tutoring as I heard the level of competition is something else. My daughter is very bright and so I know she will be able to cope (maybe some extra help with loving maths wouldn't go amiss :wink: ) but what do people think? I have looked into some agencies but before I take the plunge I thought I would get some expert opinions!!! Is it worth it?
Always keep trying. The result is always worth it...
SunlampVexesEel

AFAIK There is NO Maths in the Tiffin Girls entrance test.

VR and NVR is what you need to be familiar with.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now