Wilmington Boys and Dartford Grammar for Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

inspired2win

Wilmington Boys and Dartford Grammar for Boys

Post by inspired2win »

Does anyone know how far out these schools go? How many miles, nothing found on admission pdf files on line from Kent County Council to give an idea on how far the schools go out.

Any advice will be apprecaited. I am in Orpington.

Thanks

inspired2win
Badger

Post by Badger »

Hi,
Where are you?

FWIW
KCC have started allocating Wilmington Girls to children in our area for the first time this year (Halstead and Badgers Mount) - so I'm guessing they will be allocating Wilmington Boys as well?

See my Wilmington Girls post for details.
Gercha

Post by Gercha »

Hi Inspired2win

We too live in Orpington and my son got in to Wilmington this year (sorry to say though with a bit of a struggle). He passed the kent test but this year Wilmington boys (can't speak for the girls) didn't come out as far as it usually does. In some years it has come out 9 miles, but this year it only came out 5.8 (I think) and we were 6.4 miles. Some of my ds friends from his primary got in because, although also in Orpington, they live that little bit nearer. So be careful it does vary each year and you just don't know.

Wilmington do have a "top 10%" which equates to the top 12 scorers who apply to Wilmington and get offered a place irrespective of where they live. My son got in on appeal (1 of 6 successful appeals out of 103 heard) so it's been a tough year for us. I have to say though it was worth all the heartache because he has settled well into his new school.
inspired2win

Wilmington Boys/ Dartford Grammar

Post by inspired2win »

Thanks fr the response.

inspired2win
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

My DS also got in to Wilmington & is enjoying it.

Email kentonlineadmissions@kent.gov.uk and ask them how far away you are. I did last year and they gave it to me within 2 decimal places but do go to four if needed !!!!

With Dartford it's not down to distance as such.

See here for admissions criteria http://www.dartfordgrammar.kent.sch.uk/ ... .cfm?pid=6

The main part I have pasted below, but you're better off readingt he whole thing.

The main difference with Dartford is that if they can't fill the places locally then it's down to scores and not distance.

In the case of over-subscription, places are allocated in the order set out below. Within each section, places are ranked according to each applicant’s combined test scores in Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning and Mathematics.
1. Looked After Children: Boys under the age of 18 years for whom the Local Authority (LA) provides accommodation by agreement with their parents / carers (Section 20 of the Children’s Act 1989) or who is subject of a care order under Part IV of the Act.
2. Zone A: Boys living in the following Electoral Wards [Brent, Bean and Darenth, Castle, Heath, Joyce Green, Joydens Wood, Littlebrook, Newtown, Princes, Stone, Sutton-at-Hone and Hawley, Town, West Hill, Wilmington.]
3. All other applicants regardless of address.
In the case of tied scores, preference is given to the applicant living nearest to the school measured in a straight line using Ordnance Survey address point data. Distances are measured from a central point within the child’s house to a similarly defined point within the school as specified by Ordnance Survey. The school uses measurements provided by the Local Authority (LA) and further information on how distances are calculated is available in the Admissions Booklets provided by the LA.
inspired2win

Wimington Boys

Post by inspired2win »

Thanks for the information
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now