Question for Etienne

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nervous Mother

Question for Etienne

Post by Nervous Mother »

Dear Etienne,

Any ideas about Ambridge's case? Could low VRT scores for Year 4 & 5 along with some untidy work spoil your chances?

Thanks,

NM
Darren

Post by Darren »

I look forward to Etiene's reply also.

I would be surprised if year 4&5's VRT scores were taken into consideration.

I wouldn't be happy showing untidy work to the appeal panel. And I think has some influence in how her work will be produced at a Grammar school.

This may have cost Ambridge.

My daughter also is awful with her handwriting and layout and I have to sometimes stand over her whilst she does it just to keep her work tidy.

She used to be perfect but has slipped badly as she gets older.

I'm very sorry for Ambridge. and with 120 Scores would have put my money on success.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Ambridge

I was so sorry to hear your news. I can only guess at the panel's reasons.

For what it's worth, I'll give my own view. You had a good solid case but (as I think you yourself said) nothing that made it stand out. If only the head could have been persuaded to predict 5a's .......... (before everyone else panics, I'm not saying this is essential, but in such a borderline case it could have tipped the balance).

The 11+ is based on VR and, personally, I think the two previous VR scores would have been a definite minus. They may have been a year or two old, but they're on the record, and then the 11+ provided two more opportunities .......

There were inaccuracies in the head's rankings. Some unranked children qualified. Moreover it didn't help that the two immediately below you "missed by miles". If they had actually qualified, it would have made your son stand out as an anomaly.

I do hope the panel were not influenced by lack of tidiness in the exercise books. This has nothing to do with academic ability.

I hope too that the lack of extenuating circumstances were not an issue. With a score of 120 that would be very harsh.

I said beforehand that I didn't think you would have a lot of questions, because the facts of your case seemed very straightforward. It doesn't surprise me, therefore, that the questions appeared lightweight, and that there were a lot of "fillers".

I don't believe for one moment that the panel had made its mind up in advance - that simply isn't the sort of thing local authority panels do.

Having said that, panel members are fallible, especially with borderline cases where the decision could go either way. It's like the courts - a different judge/jury on a different day might come up with a different result. I know it's no consolation.

You've been so supportive of others on this forum, Ambridge. Please don't lose heart. I believe your son should be at a grammar school, and I hope you will give serious consideration to the 12+.
Etienne
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Thanks Etienne for explaining things, I must admit it is chipping away at my heart to think my gorgeous son can't have what he wants, and that decision has now been made by three people who have never even met him. However, I need to get this into perspective - far worse things happen in life, and we chose to try this route.

I suppose it is the the first of many upsets in his life, school, friends, love life, jobs I've got it all to come over the next 15-20 years, got to toughen up - but losing control over a situation involving your child is not easy.

Good luck to everyone over the coming weeks and thanks for your kind words.

x
clare64

Post by clare64 »

ambridge I have sent you a pm

love

clare64
Bubbly

Post by Bubbly »

Hi Ambridge

Firstly I am sorry to hear about your appeal results. I have not followed your case, but understand your son scored 120, I was curious to know what his other score was. With a strong recommendation from the head, I cannot understand how the panel make their decisions. I understand it is very difficult, but your case looks very strong to me.

We have our appeal tomorrow, feeling really low after hearing about your disappointing news.

I know you must be feeling like we all did when the exam results came out.

I hope you will consider 12+, your son was so close.

Regards

Bubbly
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi again Ambridge

I have posted elsewhere that I am so sorry to hear of your result. However, I wanted to quote from your post above:

"losing control over a situation involving your child is not easy"

That, for me, was the hardest thing about the 11+ Appeal. In business I have made many presentations about subjects very dear to me (in professional terms) over the years. I was never nervous beforehand, nor did I need to be upset afterwards if it didn't work out, because it always did! I was passionately involved, but from the head, not the heart.

The difference here is that the Appeal was for my child - and nothing could be closer to a mother's heart. To apparently "fail" my own child was something I had never experienced in such a dramatic way before, especially as it was trial by jury, in the nicest possible way!

After my son got his result he was briefly upset, but I had told him that I would do my best. At bedtime that night I told him I was sorry that I hadn't got the result he wanted and deserved. He just said "Mummy, you did your best".

He was quite right (at the time) - and that is all any parent can do. Let's gloss over the fact that if I had discovered this forum a couple of weeks earlier, I could have done a whole lot better!

However, Ambridge, you have had that advantage, and it still didn't work out - you have really done your best.

Don't toughen up - just keep doing your best. Your son will thank you for that always.

S-A
x
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Thanks Sally-Anne for your kind words...

Might just allow ourselves to lick our wounds for another day or so and then we'll bounce right back - from Monday its onwards and upwards!!

x
Darren

Post by Darren »

Hi Ambridge,

Do you have a plan B for your son ?

are you considering private or remain at his current school, 12+ etc etc.

What are your options ?

Darren

Post by Guest »

Ambridge, I was heartbroken when my son did not get through on appeal but in the end he went to catchment secondary (Chalfont Community College) and although I was worried initially he is doing really well and predicted good grades at GCSE. Although I felt like it was the end of the world it's not and with parental support I feel he'll probably come out the other end a more rounded person. The school said they would support him if we wanted to go down the 12+ route but we decided against it as he was so happy where he was. Good Luck to you in whatever choices you make for your son.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now