Please cross fingers for my DS

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Freya

Please cross fingers for my DS

Post by Freya »

Hi all

Please cross fingers for my DS who will be attending his regional rugby final selection trial this evening!

Send him your good vibes because I think he is feeling a bit down at the moment. He has only managed to participate in 2 of the 4 weekly sessions due to having an injured knee and then the following week a painful outbreak of ring worm on the other knee. He stood on the touchline instead, tears of frustration running down his cheeks and muttering 'let me go on' when he clearly couldn't. The selection coaches have told him that he has nothing to worry about but he feels that he needs to put in a really noticeable performance tonight.

To add to this school rugby is not ideal at the moment. He is being played up in the U13s where he has to deal with much larger and more mature opposition, which he does admirably but ends up having to put in the lions share of the hits due to some of the team not yet being up to standard. There are very few U12s matches arranged but in the one they have had the opposition could only raise 12 players and DS sent 3 of them off the field crying after legitimate tackles. His coaches took him off after 10 minutes telling him he was too physical and dangerous for this match. So, he can't win - it's ok for him to be nearly the smallest on a pitch of U13s and feel battered afterwards but not ok for him to play in his own age group and batter someone else! Actually I do feel they probably did the right thing in that particular match in terms of player safety but I do feel sorry for my DS. It's not as if he's big for his age, just average really.

Hopefully if he makes it into the regional side then he will be able to enjoy a high standard of rugby with his proper age group and boys of similar / better ability.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hopefully if he makes it into the regional side then he will be able to enjoy a high standard of rugby with his proper age group and boys of similar / better ability.
Good luck, that sounds like the best solution.

Mis-matches are not good either big wins or big losses, and in rugby a mis-match of size, ability or aggression can lead to unnecessary injuries. :cry:

We have been told this weekend's training and rugby match are off as ground is too hard, might have something to do with being on the wrong end of a mis-match last week. :oops:

steve
Freya

Post by Freya »

Thanks!

A hard pitch is great for running rugby but very painful to fall on! I notice that there are an unusual number of shoulder injuries at professional level for the start of this season and this is being put down to hard pitches!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Fingers AND toes crossed. (Uncomfortable, but hey...!) Good luck. :)
Marylou
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sending the very best of luck to your ds, hope his trial goes really well and he gets picked.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Luck! Let us know how he gets on. x
zorro

Post by zorro »

How did it go?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Good luck. But I'd be more worried about a child of mine having a knee injury at such a young age, and the long term implications of this, than whether or not he is successful in a county trial. Sometimes the long term view is better.
Freya

Post by Freya »

Thank you all for your positive thoughts - DS has made it into the final regional squad! :D :D :D :D The standard of rugby on display was outstanding and DS really enjoyed himself. He was totally over the moon to hear that he had been selected!
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Jolly well done to Freya's DS!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now