St Paul's Headmaster two questions

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ealingmum

St Paul's Headmaster two questions

Post by ealingmum »

I see the High Master at St Paul's is spouting off again - this time about the diviseness of what he calls faith schools. Leaving aside he is head of a supposedly Christian foundation school that charges £20k p.a (divisive pot calling the kettle black) where does he get all this time to being a rent-a-quote?

Second question, what happened to his policy of not publishing his exam results - he seems to have done so?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

He is becoming as disagreeable and dislikeable as Anthony Seldon, although I think it will take some time before he loves the sound of his own voice the way Seldon does! Interesting that Seldon always slates Independents for not being more inclusve and yet his school is one of the worst for offering bursaries! A man of words he is, but not much else! :roll: :lol:
mad?

Post by mad? »

really sorry - who is Anthony Seldon?
mad?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

:oops: Me too.
ElizaBennett

Post by ElizaBennett »

I believe his policy is not to take part in league tables, rather than not to publish exam results. Though St. Paul's is a Christian foundation, religious affiliation is not one of the requirements for attending the school; if you are an atheist you can opt out of religious services. This is very different from our local Church of England school, which accepts about 60% of its intake based on faith.

Where's the data on bursaries available?
zee

Post by zee »

mad? wrote:really sorry - who is Anthony Seldon?
High profile/publicity seeking (you choose) headmaster of Wellington College in Berks. He turned it fully co-od (instead of just sixth form) and was in the press a lot when they introduced happiness lessons etc.

He's also written a well-received biog of Tony Blair.
mad?

Post by mad? »

thanks zee, I know exactly who you mean now...
mad?
Thea

Post by Thea »

St Paul's actually does enormous amounts for the local community that never gets reported on, and , Martin Stephen does not spout on about this ever. His stated aim is also rapidly to get SPS to be needs-blind. So, fine - use him as an Aunt Sallie if you like - I doubt that anyone who knows him or his objectives will be remontely bothered.
Best Regards,
Thea
Thea

Post by Thea »

Oh, and peopel who pore over 'results' are missing the whole point of education - as it happens, the SPS results are about as good as it gets, but they have nothing to prove...
Best Regards,
Thea
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I worked at Wellington College for a very short while an eon ago – excellent school in many ways.

But I’d be wary of sending my child to a school where the Headmaster can find time to regularly write best-selling books? Hasn’t he got a day job? :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now