Amersham school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kesi68

Amersham school

Post by Kesi68 »

Hi
My son is currently unhappy at our local comprehensive (London borough of Harrow), due to unruly behaviour of fellow students, lack of class discipline etc. There is a possibility he could get a place at Amersham school. I work fairly near so transport not too tricky. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of what amersham school is like?
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

I have friends who have children in year 7 and year 10. Both are very happy, especially with the present head teacher under whom they say the school has improved considerably. Both the children are bright and just missed out on grammar school selection and have not complained about unruly students. Have you been to look round yet? Friends who went to the Open evening this year were very impressed.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Yes, Sharon Jarrett (Amersham Head) seems to be one of those inspirational headteachers.

Recent allocation profiles for Amersham suggest that demand for the school is increasing, probably as a result of her efforts.

All just my opinion and probably worth what you paid for it !

PS: They were very strong on Maths when I looked a couple of years ago. A large proportion of pupils (for an upper school) were taking 'normal' GCSE Maths, not the Foundation or Intermediate varieties.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

DD started at Amersham this term and is enjoying it very much. It is considerably more academically rigorous than I had expected – she gets homework most nights and at weekends and the work she is doing is commensurate with what DS did in his first year at GS.

Friends who have a much longer association with the school than we do have commented on how significantly it has improved over the past few years.

You should be aware, however, that at induction day we were told that the school was over-subscribed for the first time ever, so there may not be many (any?) spaces.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

What year group is Kesi69 looking to move son into ?
Kesi68

Post by Kesi68 »

Thanks everyone, its nice to know first hand what people think. We will going for a visit shortly,so will let you know how we get on!
Kesi68

Post by Kesi68 »

Hi DAD40 Im looking at year 9.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Kesi, not to throw a total spanner into your thinking, but there are spaces in Year 9 at Dr Challoner’s…

My understanding is that the school now administers its own tests to assess suitability and it may be too late to apply, but they were advertising in the local paper less than a fortnight ago.
Kesi68

Post by Kesi68 »

thanks Rob Clark, that is certainly worth enquiring about! I will give them a call tommorow!
Kesi
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

I would have thought Year 9 have spaces.

Anyone got the magic 'pupils on roll' spreadsheet ?